Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Parents, especially fussy parents, aplenty. They complain about holding one exam, they complain about holding a series of tests. Real fun holding a leadership position within WCPSS/ DPI.
I am a parent. I used to be a teacher.

I realized how bad it sucked when I was teaching.

Take it however you like. EOGs are just the US paying Pearson a fat wad of cash because they knew the right palms to grease in Congress.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 AM

600 posts, read 1,220,736 times
My kid is bright and did well in math all year. Not exceptional, but well. He got 3's all year. He did horrible on the EOG so now he is convinced he is horrible at math and will never get it. Now he hates math.

I hate these kinds of test too. I would like tests that are smaller and more often to truly gauge. We were out late the night before the EOGs and he is one that really needs his sleep but there was nothing we could do about it as it was something we had to do.

I also remember being in school in NY and asking questions about what we were learning and being told, sorry, it isn't on the Regents so we don't have time to discuss it. Too many drawbacks on these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parent of 2 View Post
No, the EOG isn't an end all for a grades, and no, not everyone is going to do well on them due to many variables. But you know what, that's life. All students aren't equal. An average class has students from all parts of the academic spectrum. An average student should get a mid level 3 or C. Most parents think their student is above average but they are not. Blasphemy, I know! Half of the problem with EOGs is the pressure from home to "do your best," when in all actuality that's not good enough. As a parent, I understand the desire for my children to succeed and flourish, but my definition of that is not a 4 or 5 on an EOG. It's just freakin' elementary/middle school. Why does everyone truly care so much!?! Parents need to deprogram themselves of these expectations before they can expect a school system to. You're just buying the crap they are selling!
Heh? I'm not sure what point you're actually trying to make here. Is it that not every kid can/should get a 4 or 5? If so, I don't think any parent would argue with that.

And the issue I have is that my children have consistently scored better on EOGs than they do throughout the year. My youngest daughter brought home a note that she was in danger of failing "Read to Achieve" and being held back. According to her report cards, parent/teacher conferences, etc. she is a pretty average student, who struggles a bit, and quite frankly is not a great test taker. Yet she scored 4s in both math and reading EOGs. Heck, my oldest daughter apparently scored better than 98% of all 6th graders in the state on the math EOG. Yet, she was a borderline A student, and her teacher didn't recommend her for SSA this year. Something just doesn't match up and it causes me to question the value of the EOG for the parent or the student.

And RedZin -- I have to respectfully disagree that if you fail the EOG, they'll hold you back. I know quite a few parents who have fought tooth and nail to hold their kids back a grade, because the administration does not want to hold kids back at all. Some have succeeded and some have not. It's not easy to get held back in WCPSS -- no child left behind (even if they don't understand what they're doing).

Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Parents, especially fussy parents, aplenty. They complain about holding one exam, they complain about holding a series of tests. Real fun holding a leadership position within WCPSS/ DPI.
you work for the PS? Or are married to someone in a leadership position in WCPSS?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Heh? I'm not sure what point you're actually trying to make here. Is it that not every kid can/should get a 4 or 5? If so, I don't think any parent would argue with that.

And the issue I have is that my children have consistently scored better on EOGs than they do throughout the year. My youngest daughter brought home a note that she was in danger of failing "Read to Achieve" and being held back. According to her report cards, parent/teacher conferences, etc. she is a pretty average student, who struggles a bit, and quite frankly is not a great test taker. Yet she scored 4s in both math and reading EOGs. Heck, my oldest daughter apparently scored better than 98% of all 6th graders in the state on the math EOG. Yet, she was a borderline A student, and her teacher didn't recommend her for SSA this year. Something just doesn't match up and it causes me to question the value of the EOG for the parent or the student.

And RedZin -- I have to respectfully disagree that if you fail the EOG, they'll hold you back. I know quite a few parents who have fought tooth and nail to hold their kids back a grade, because the administration does not want to hold kids back at all. Some have succeeded and some have not. It's not easy to get held back in WCPSS -- no child left behind (even if they don't understand what they're doing).
Hmmm. I have friends who were told their daughter was borderline and if she could not pass the EOG this year, she would be held back unless she attended summer school and passed the EOG at the end of summer school. That's also how it worked when I was teaching. Are you saying they do the reverse?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Hmmm. I have friends who were told their daughter was borderline and if she could not pass the EOG this year, she would be held back unless she attended summer school and passed the EOG at the end of summer school. That's also how it worked when I was teaching. Are you saying they do the reverse?
Yes, I was also told that my daughter was borderline and if she didn't pass the EOG, she would be held back if she didn't attend summer school. That was the "Read to Achieve" mess earlier this year. There were about 100 3rd grade families at our school that got that notice about half way through the year. The principal held a meeting to explain what was actually going on. Basically, there was NO way your child would physically be held back a grade. At worst, they would actually get promoted to the next grade, with a notation on their record that wouldn't be erased until they passed the previous year's test.

There were a lot of freaked out parents who had no reason to be freaked out. The school district sent out the notices based on BOG scores. I walked into that meeting with the letter from the school district that said my child was in danger of failing and her latest report card, on which she had all 3s and 4s in Reading. So assuming there isn't grade inflation going on in 3rd grade, I continue to take these standardized test results with a grain of salt.

PS -- and to make matters worse, your child didn't even actually have to attend summer school. They had to register and then show up for the final test. The whole thing was a joke.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:47 PM

That is completely ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,447,848 times
Have you received your student’s EOC or EOG test results? — WCPSS Blog

Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,780 times
Received our track 4 results today for both of my kids.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:47 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,560 times
We received ours today as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary