Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
You mean like many,many other states do? And they never have a problem with it? Buy a house, you get 1 school assignment. Period. Choice isn't always better.
The real issue here is that this is a growing area and assignments or school calendars have to change to accommodate the growth.

This area also prides itself on not creating micro-districts where people buy themselves into the best school in the area, while kids just down the street are going to a lousy school.

They have a place for that. It's called "The NYC Metro Area."

Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
You mean like many,many other states do? And they never have a problem with it? Buy a house, you get 1 school assignment. Period. Choice isn't always better.
I've lived in a lot of states, and as far as I know, none of them had a "this house is grandfathered" policy. None of them needed to. Somehow they all managed to accommodate address based school zones (yes, even in areas of high growth -- they used trailers and the parents just dealt with it until a new school was built). It's different than "grandfathering an address", which is more like under the table rent-control (you know, like when your grandmother had a rent controlled apartment and you moved in to keep the rent, but failed to notify anyone that your grandmother wasn't still there...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Yes Tina good analogy...because what alsoonhappensnin cases like this is "well my parents live inabase zone with a great school so we will just say we live with them"....our district in NY got wise to this and if you couldnnot produce a deed (yes the actual deed) or lease you were not getting your kid registered even if you already had a kid in the school system. When I registered my DD there was a woman at the next table with a license with valid address and they wouldn't even talk to her.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:04 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The real issue here is that this is a growing area and assignments or school calendars have to change to accommodate the growth.

This area also prides itself on not creating micro-districts where people buy themselves into the best school in the area, while kids just down the street are going to a lousy school.

They have a place for that. It's called "The NYC Metro Area."

RedZin, you lost me here. I have actually been wondering why parents are given the option of year round and traditional and not just assigned to one or the other. To me it seems like the board is trying too hard to please everyone. I would think from a cost perspective it would save them money to just give out one assignment without a calendar option. It would reduce the time administrative staff spends reviewing and responding to these transfers. It would also shorten bus routes (more efficient). Magnet options would still remain. I do not see how this would create micro districts? Not trying to be snarky here just trying to understand.

I agree it is a growing area and re-assignments will happen to balance out the numbers at each school. This is the reality of a growing district. We are not paying to build new schools to keep them empty!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
RedZin, you lost me here. I have actually been wondering why parents are given the option of year round and traditional and not just assigned to one or the other. To me it seems like the board is trying too hard to please everyone. I would think from a cost perspective it would save them money to just give out one assignment without a calendar option. It would reduce the time administrative staff spends reviewing and responding to these transfers. It would also shorten bus routes (more efficient). Magnet options would still remain. I do not see how this would create micro districts? Not trying to be snarky here just trying to understand.

I agree it is a growing area and re-assignments will happen to balance out the numbers at each school. This is the reality of a growing district. We are not paying to build new schools to keep them empty!

I do think the board tries too hard to please, but it is not a new thing. I guess that is the issue with an elected body. I can remember 15 years ago when there was a large number of snow days one year and after they announced the days and people whined, they changed them. Much of the issues we have now is from backlash of people being transferred too often so they tried to come up with a different system that would not require kids to be reassigned as much .

Part of this whole problem is the fact that development does not occur in a continuous outward wave. There may be a subdivision, then a farm, then a subdivision. A few years later, the farm sells and a subdivision pops up. If people are not willing to have their kids in woefully overcrowded schools, something has to give.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:

What people really want is neighborhood schools. That won't work in a countywide system, because it creates financial segregation. That's what I meant when I talked about micro districts. And if Margiotta had gotten his way, that is what we would've ultimately had. Our own little school system in Cary with a high concentration of wealth and funding.

Then, you have people who love YR schools, but the reality is that the ones who love traditional will raise a stink about schools going YR and those who love YR generally do not complain if a YR school goes traditional. Originally, YR was an option. Base schools were traditional. That has slowly changed over the years.

Basically, I agree with what Sheriff said.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What people really want is neighborhood schools. That won't work in a countywide system, because it creates financial segregation.
In your opinion it won't work because it creates financial segregation. There are others who would argue that it would bring the issue of underperforming students to the forefront, because it's harder to bury their test scores when you can't spread them out across the county. So the focus would be on improving the education of those students, rather than averaging out school scores (i.e., "no bad schools").

Of course, that takes resources (money), and we all know how important education is to the NC government. *sigh*

Old 08-15-2014, 08:46 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
RedZin, you lost me here. I have actually been wondering why parents are given the option of year round and traditional and not just assigned to one or the other. To me it seems like the board is trying too hard to please everyone.
Actually it had to do with an NC law that determines the latest into the summer a school can run in NC. This had to do with the tourism industry and they were some of the front runners in the fight. It went to court and the courts decided that YR schools can stay, but parents could not be forced into YR, they had to give consent. In order to balance out those who would be assigned to YR schools and opt out for traditional, they let those assigned to traditional schools choose YR if they wanted.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
In your opinion it won't work because it creates financial segregation. There are others who would argue that it would bring the issue of underperforming students to the forefront, because it's harder to bury their test scores when you can't spread them out across the county. So the focus would be on improving the education of those students, rather than averaging out school scores (i.e., "no bad schools").

Of course, that takes resources (money), and we all know how important education is to the NC government. *sigh*
Your last sentence explains why it won't work.

Do we really want "inner city" types of schools in Raleigh?

Do we want overinflated RE prices in Cary or ITB where prices are pretty high already, created by a "buy my kid into the BEST schools" mentality?

I think it's a bad idea.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Actually it had to do with an NC law that determines the latest into the summer a school can run in NC. This had to do with the tourism industry and they were some of the front runners in the fight. It went to court and the courts decided that YR schools can stay, but parents could not be forced into YR, they had to give consent. In order to balance out those who would be assigned to YR schools and opt out for traditional, they let those assigned to traditional schools choose YR if they wanted.
Thank you for clarifying this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary