Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 PM

17 posts, read 17,051 times

Advertisements

We are planning on renting for a year or two so that we can make sure that we landed in the right place. A lot of the advice on these boards is for people who plan to purchase. We are hoping to purchase if everything works out the way we hope it will, but it the meantime, does anyone have any advice about renting? Is there a preferred realtor that I should approach? I will hopefully have a job offer soon in Raleigh but we don't want to live in Raleigh... preferably nearby. Just looking for some advice. Thanks!

ALSO, my mother-in-law is moving down too and I would love for her to live near us or in a mother/daughter type home but from my research, it doesn't look like there any of these types of rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 09:03 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,089,924 times
Realtors down here don't really handle rental customers.

I suggest searching online for rental properties.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 PM

99 posts, read 215,643 times
We rented for the first year so that we could get a feel for the area and the different parts around town. I searched through various websites (just by doing a search for property management companies) and then looked at their past and current rental inventory. From there, I contacted a few and those that I could actually get a hold of (really only a couple actually replied), I informed them of our situation, when we would want to move, rent, what we wanted, and asked if they could help us find properties. Ultimately, I found the property we rented via Craigs List, but you have to be very careful going that route as they can be scams. Always speak to the person via phone, not just email, ask for references, and see if you can look up other properties they represent, etc. I did have one property management company that sent me rental listings and that was a huge help. I believe they did it through an MLS type system but I can't remember (it was a couple of years ago now).

Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,233,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiBenzo View Post
ALSO, my mother-in-law is moving down too and I would love for her to live near us or in a mother/daughter type home but from my research, it doesn't look like there any of these types of rentals.
I would look for nearby. Homes with an "inlaw suite" are tough to come by when purchasing. I don't think I've ever seen one as a rental.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 PM

120 posts, read 205,639 times
We found our rental through Craigslist as well. It was the best way that we have found. A lot of the rental/property management companies were difficult to work with or even contact!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,150,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesmom View Post
We found our rental through Craigslist as well. It was the best way that we have found. A lot of the rental/property management companies were difficult to work with or even contact!
I agree!

I was just recently helping my daughter find an apt. and some of the property management companies NEVER returned our calls. A couple took 2 to 3 days. I don't understand it!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,097,017 times
Lots of interesting apt communities here but realtors have no interest in doing rentals - no money in it for them (this isn't NYC).

Tell where you want an apt and we might be able to help you.

I've rented in Raleigh 26 years and in Northridge Crossings (North Raleigh) 8 years.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 PM

17 posts, read 17,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Lots of interesting apt communities here but realtors have no interest in doing rentals - no money in it for them (this isn't NYC).

Tell where you want an apt and we might be able to help you.

I've rented in Raleigh 26 years and in Northridge Crossings (North Raleigh) 8 years.
We are looking to rent a large home, not an apt. We are planning on staying a year or two and then buying.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM

610 posts, read 742,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Realtors down here don't really handle rental customers.

I suggest searching online for rental properties.

Not true. We moved here last year and went through a realtor. We had two working for us.

Rentals go fast though. If you see something you like, don't wait.

I would never trust Craigslist for rentals. Too many scams.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,666,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiBenzo View Post
We are looking to rent a large home, not an apt. We are planning on staying a year or two and then buying.
You are still not going to find a Realtor to help. Craigslist is your best bet....there are some management companies that do handle rental homes....but in-law suites are going to be a hard find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary