Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I used to work near South Square and I had a co-worker who lived near Kildaire Farm and Cary Pkwy (not exactly Crossroads, but close-ish). Her commute was regularly 45 minutes to an hour.
Ugh...thanks. There is no way I'm commuting an hour each way.

I think I'll drive it during a really busy time of morning just to get an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 05:36 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Ugh...thanks. There is no way I'm commuting an hour each way.

I think I'll drive it during a really busy time of morning just to get an idea.
It will be a little less in the morning going the opposite direction, and even more "less" in the afternoon.

I live in Cary and work in RTP, the traffic is definitely going in the opposite direction. That being said, I also come into work at 7AM and there is rarely any delay at all. Sometimes the roads are full, sometimes not, but almost always moving. I also leave at 4:30 and at that time it's "iffy". any later and traffic gets really backed up, any earlier and it's usually not a problem, but in any case, traffic is worse in the afternoon commute than it is in the AM. But again, I'm giong with the majority, you'll be in a slightly better position going the other way.

Also, don't discount alternate routes. If 40 becomes problematic, try another route. I have found that the best route differs over the course of the year (which i'm sure has to do with school). Another thing to be aware of is what might be going on at the RBC.

Finally, a decent smart-phone will let you know where traffic is. I use google maps at times, but Waze is another good app. They are interactive, and will redirect you to the fastest route.

If the job is good on it's own merit, I would not be "too" worried about the commute.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new adventure.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:37 AM

276 posts, read 648,678 times
We live near South Square (well.. off 15-501 but closer to 40) and my husband commuted to 1/64 (super close to Crossroads) for 5 years. Usually would take him 35 minutes each way, but 40 can be unpredictable around rush hour. He used to commute from Durham to Greensboro, so this commute seemed pretty reasonable for him

Old 07-25-2014, 08:07 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
I commute from that area of Cary to basically where you live.

If you'll be commuting the 8-5 schedule, it can take 45 minutes or longer if you take I-40 and there's an accident or something. If your hours are flexible it's not nearly as bad. I usually leave my house about 7am and arrive at my office by 7:30. Leave the office at 4:30 and am home by 5:00. If there's a bad accident on 40, I'll hop on the Triangle Expressway and get off on US-1 North. I know that seems like a huge detour but in reality it takes about the same amount of time as 40 since there's very little traffic on the Expressway. If there's an accident on 40 it can save you A LOT of time.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
My advice would be to drive it one day at the time you would be commuting to decide if you could live with it. Realize there are always those rare days where there is an accident or ice storm when the commute time will be longer but at least you will have a point of reference for what most days would be like.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Thanks all, this is great info. I'm going to drive it next week. Might have a better opportunity that is remote as it turns out, but still want to check. Yeah, I thought about ice storms, ugh.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:11 AM

17 posts, read 20,804 times
Is all this traffic you all are talking about the kind of traffic like we have here in New York? I ask because I am relocating to the Raleigh area in a few months and just the thought of moving from one congested driving place to another makes me crazy! Everything seemed so open when I visited last (7+ years ago)

Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alulyah View Post
Is all this traffic you all are talking about the kind of traffic like we have here in New York? I ask because I am relocating to the Raleigh area in a few months and just the thought of moving from one congested driving place to another makes me crazy! Everything seemed so open when I visited last (7+ years ago)
No way. There are areas of congestion here that can be bad but it's not the constant, congestion everywhere of NY. My main issue in this thread is distance, being 15 min from the highway.

Someone else would need to chime in about the congestion near Crossroads in Cary - I feel like I've read here that it can be quite bad - but I don't think it's "entire commute is stop and go" bad.

Try and live as close as you can to work.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alulyah View Post
Agree with Norasmom, "no way".

Traffic is relative and Raleigh Traffic is not in the same discussion as some of the major cities in the country. Not even a shadow of NYC, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, SF, LA, Houston (I've driven in all of them. Grr). Raleigh Traffic mainly happens on a few roads. Barring an "incident, Rush hour might take a 20 minute trip and turn it into a 35 minute trip (not usually even that), but rarely any worse. A couple times a year we have a real issue, but not often.

And because it's mostly isolated to a few roads, you can usually take alternatives. Noteworthy: Rain here can really cause some problems. And in general, the driving is unpredictable due to all the relocated people, but no, not that bad...

Old 07-27-2014, 07:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I wish I were going to work for Epic Games! I think I know some minor html...that'll get me in, right ?

Yeah, any commute will seem longer since I've worked from home since 2009. I will have to buy a work wardrobe again! Not sure my old one fits. I'm too close to my fridge...
I had a neighbor friend who worked from home as a programmer for years. her wardrobe was atrociously dated by the time she started back in an office I tried dropping hints to no avail. She was like a dressed down version of the De Lorean (Life Lessons, 80's) woman in the ad

No offense meant, your story reminded me of my neighbor

As for your commute, you will be going against traffic, this is a good thing! I've driven that way twice in recent months but coming from Dillard Rd area to Western Wake and then on to Southpoint. Traffic didn't look too bad but it was at 8am and then 10am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary