Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,057 times

Advertisements

Long story short - I have had three separate contractors come to my house and confirm that the whole roof of my house needs replacing due to wind/hail damage.
The insurance company roof inspector says only the front needs replacing ( and that would be with different shingle because the existing is discontinued). Insurance Co. refuses to meet with contractor and says that their inspection was thorough - end of discussion.
I understand that contractors may have a vested interest in a complete re roof. I am considering paying for an independent roof engineer to check it out
Anyone else have a similar experience with insurance companies being reluctant to do a complete reroof?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,870,931 times
Kinda makes you wonder what insurance is for?
My insurance company jacked up my homeowners rate this year after my first claim in 25 years.

I found a new insurance company.

Last edited by RedZin; 07-24-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted

Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
We've had storm chasers all through our neighborhoods slapping new roofs on houses.
Replacing 20 year old 20-year shingles with minimal depreciation.

Rumor has it that at least one of them is "paying the deductible" for the homeowner.

Stinks to high heaven.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM

580 posts, read 711,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We've had storm chasers all through our neighborhoods slapping new roofs on houses.
Replacing 20 year old 20-year shingles with minimal depreciation.

Rumor has it that at least one of them is "paying the deductible" for the homeowner.

Stinks to high heaven.
My neighborhood too after the hail storm around 2 years ago. One neighbor started it and then posted on our neighborhood website to get your roof checked. Almost everyone got a new roof (all with the company's sign in their yard to get a discount) except for us and across the street neighbor (we have the same big name insurance company). They did say the hail damaged our skylights and wrote us a check for that.

2 years later, the storm chasers roofs are the ones my neighbors are complaining about with leaks and the companies doing a very poor job!

Old 07-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
My neighborhood too after the hail storm around 2 years ago. One neighbor started it and then posted on our neighborhood website to get your roof checked. Almost everyone got a new roof (all with the company's sign in their yard to get a discount) except for us and across the street neighbor (we have the same big name insurance company). They did say the hail damaged our skylights and wrote us a check for that.

2 years later, the storm chasers roofs are the ones my neighbors are complaining about with leaks and the companies doing a very poor job!
I hired a reputable roofer, and was delighted with the quality I got.
And, I know he will be around to honor his work.

One of the storm chasers did such inordinately poor work, he had to reincorporate to shake people off his tail.
Pathetic.

Consumers should always remember:

"If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!"

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,618,441 times
I remember reading of an incident a few years ago where a homeowner noticed water stains on his ceiling in his kitchen and called his insurance company. The inspector came out the next day and climbed up on the roof with the homeowner. Just as he was telling the owner he only needed to replace some shingles, his foot went thru the roof.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
When did we have a hail storm? I'm thinking you're a bit late to the party if you want hail coverage from that storm - what was it, 2 years ago?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When did we have a hail storm? I'm thinking you're a bit late to the party if you want hail coverage from that storm - what was it, 2 years ago?
Not too late. The stormchasers have a backlog of work. New signs going up daily.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
From the insurance company's perspective it is late

It is generally a police requirement that you mitigate damages in the event of a loss. If the OP had a loss requiring roof replacement and that loss occurred 2
Years ago what has he been doing since then? Insurance covers sudden losses not wear and tear. And everyone wonders why we all got rate increase letters.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
From the insurance company's perspective it is late

It is generally a police requirement that you mitigate damages in the event of a loss. If the OP had a loss requiring roof replacement and that loss occurred 2
Years ago what has he been doing since then? Insurance covers sudden losses not wear and tear. And everyone wonders why we all got rate increase letters.
People are "discovering" unrealized hail damage that has reduced the service life of their shingles. The "discovery" occurs after they learn that their neighbors are cashing in, so they also call out an agreeable roofer.
They don't have to have an active leak to have a loss.

The stormchasers are very aggressive with their approach and work the insurance adjusters hard.
Sometimes they will write up the roof as a 25 year shingle to support a claim of reduced service life. These 20 year old houses all have 20 year 3 tab shingles from the builder.
Homeowners are paying their deductible, the cost for any upgrades such as architectural shingles, and minimal if any depreciation on roofs that have served their designed service life. And they are getting new roofs for little out of pocket.

Life in the USA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary