Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times

Advertisements

So we are overrun with "which town" threads.
Our area has some unique land management,school district, and town jurisdiction issues that are very different than those in the metros that most potential relocators are concentrated.
Here is some information that potential relocators would be wise to consider.

There is NO "CARY SCHOOL DISTRICT"
Schools are managed by the COUNTY, not by the INDIVIDUAL MUNICIPALITY. Moving to a particular town offers no guarantee that your assigned schools will be within that town's limits.

ZIP CODES do NOT necessarily denote WHICH MUNICIPALITY a property is located in.
It is possible to pay your taxes to one municipality and have your mail addressed to another.
I have lived in two houses in Cary, neither one of which had/has a Cary mailing address. They are located 19 miles apart. You must leave Cary limits and drive thru two other towns plus an unincorporated area of the county to drive from one to the other.

Municipalities within Wake County do not have neat borders. In certain instances, a Town's jurisdiction can cover more than one county-there is a small portion of Cary that is outside Wake County, In Chatham County. There are certain neighborhoods that are technically in Cary that are not within Wake County at all, and another that has sections within two counties.

Beyond a certain point, "which town" matters less than the proximity of your residence to your workplace and other necessary locations like shopping/parks/schools/the airport/current and future highways and access points.

There are active posters on this board who will INSIST that they live within one town when in fact they technically live in another. Some people will opt to say they live in whichever town they perceive to be more impressive.

Don't get caught up in "which town". If you really think you are going to move here you need to come here, rent a car, and drive around. IGNORE town limits. Look at traffic patterns. Look at where stuff is. Look at neighborhoods. If you come here with a bias toward or against a particular town you run the risk of never seeing locations that could be ideal for your circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM

62 posts, read 127,525 times
(insert hand clapping emoticon here) Very well made point Funky. People moving here, while advise is always a good idea, always take it with a grain of salt and form your own opinion based on your needs and wants.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Feel better? Sure you do!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Good post. Yes I think a lot of re locators don't understand that while each town may have a different vibe they are more similar than different. Just using Long Island as an example because that's where I'm from but you don't really find too many situations here where you pass million dollar homes and the. Mile later you are in an area where you want to lock your car doors. That may be the reSon why some people says it's "boring" or " generic" but the fact is most places in the triangle you don't need to worry about your zip code to get a good safe area with good schools.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Actually 90% of what you said applies to Virginia as well and many other states I'm sure. Maybe not NY and NJ where we have a decent amount of folks moving from, but NC is not unique in the qualities you mentioned. Good points made none the less.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Actually 90% of what you said applies to Virginia as well and many other states I'm sure. Maybe not NY and NJ where we have a decent amount of folks moving from, but NC is not unique in the qualities you mentioned. Good points made none the less.
Yep. It applies to every state I've lived in (7 at last count), EXCEPT New York.

New York/New Jersey are the exception, not the rule. When I lived in NY, I was shocked at how few people had ever spent any significant time anywhere else. They were completely ignorant of how the rest of the country lives. They just assume everything is like it is at home, and if it's not, it's wrong. Those are the folks that will never be happy with any pizza they find here.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 PM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Yep. It applies to every state I've lived in (7 at last count), EXCEPT New York.

New York/New Jersey are the exception, not the rule. When I lived in NY, I was shocked at how few people had ever spent any significant time anywhere else. They were completely ignorant of how the rest of the country lives. They just assume everything is like it is at home, and if it's not, it's wrong. Those are the folks that will never be happy with any pizza they find here.
Very true statement and thats part of the reason why NYers in general are viewed as arrogant folks. As a NYer I will admit that NY is not the be all end all of existence.

I have made four visits the area and my wife six. We like it very much and will be visiting her sister in two weeks who relocated in June. Many of the towns are appealing to us in the Triangle and we have are going to make a final decision on this trip. It didn't come down to the town per se, but to the location, schools, convenience etc...

Old 07-25-2014, 07:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Very true statement and thats part of the reason why NYers in general are viewed as arrogant folks. As a NYer I will admit that NY is not the be all end all of existence.

I have made four visits the area and my wife six. We like it very much and will be visiting her sister in two weeks who relocated in June. Many of the towns are appealing to us in the Triangle and we have are going to make a final decision on this trip. It didn't come down to the town per se, but to the location, schools, convenience etc...

Hmmm...YOU are welcome to move here (but if you want to move to Cary, please buy a custom resale before RedZin loses her mind).

I'll give you a quick hint if you want to sound less like a NYer. Don't ever say the word "town". It's a dead giveaway. I was just thinking about it, and we don't really use the word. For instance, a conversation will go like this:

You: "So where do you live?"
Me: "Raleigh"
You: "Oh really, where?"
Me: "Cary"
You: "Where in Cary?"
Me: "(insert name of subdivision)"

There's no "What town?", "What exit?", etc. It just starts out broad and gets narrower. If we were not in NC when this conversation happened, I would start with "North Carolina" and then narrow down from there.

It's a little like Coke vs. Soda/Pop:

Me: "You thirsty? You want a coke?"
You: "Sure, what do you have?"
Me: "Let's see. I have diet coke, sprite and dr. pepper."
You: "I'll have a Dr. Pepper."

Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 PM

645 posts, read 988,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

There is NO "CARY SCHOOL DISTRICT"
Schools are managed by the COUNTY, not by the INDIVIDUAL MUNICIPALITY. Moving to a particular town offers no guarantee that your assigned schools will be within that town's limits.

Municipalities within Wake County do not have neat borders. In certain instances, a Town's jurisdiction can cover more than one county-there is a small portion of Cary that is outside Wake County, In Chatham County. There are certain neighborhoods that are technically in Cary that are not within Wake County at all, and another that has sections within two counties.

Don't get caught up in "which town". If you really think you are going to move here you need to come here, rent a car, and drive around. IGNORE town limits. Look at traffic patterns. Look at where stuff is. Look at neighborhoods. If you come here with a bias toward or against a particular town you run the risk of never seeing locations that could be ideal for your circumstances.

Good points above. Just wanted to add a note re: county based schools: the Chapel Hill/Carrboro school district is an exception to this general rule. CH/Carrboro schools are geographically within Orange County, however, it is a separate entity independent of the county.

However, just like Cary, those who choose to relocate to Chapel Hill need to do their homework as just having a CH address does not mean you are districted for CH/Carrboro schools. Chapel Hill actually spreads across three counties: Orange, Durham, and Chatham counties. There are some streets in CH where literally one side will be districted for CH/C schools and the other is Durham.

Keeps things interesting!!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 PM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
Okay so no mention of "towns" or "exits". Sorry I may slip but old habits will be hard to break. and btw, its not just a NY thing, its a whole Northeast thing. The folks from Jersey are the worst with that imo. Someone should have put that in the sticky thats at the top of the forum page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary