Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM

621 posts, read 977,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Back Jan 2014, bought a re-sale (2006 built) home in Morrisville. We are first time home owners.

I see that the value wake county puts on my home is about 35K more than what the appraised value was. (Appraisal was done Dec 2013 for the loan)

Can I do something to appeal this? If it's too late or pointless pursuit, let me know
Yes, you can appeal but a successful outcome is not guaranteed. You have a window to appeal. If you can show that your property value in 2008 is lower than the tax value, WC will reduce your tax bill. For every $100 reduction in tax value, you will save about $1 in property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times
If you were to look at the process by which county tax value is determined, it follows very clear formulas based on specific criteria that exclude aesthetics, but include more nebulous criteria such as condition and location. Some homes in high growth areas are given big value bumps on land value based on what is happening on neighboring land. All of the criteria are public knowledge and online if you want to take a look. I think tax appraisers are fairly consistent in their assessments. We are all waiting to see what the changes will be two years from now.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
If there is an error in the records, the OP can ask to have that corrected.
Inaccurate square footage is most common.
If the appraiser's measurements are less than the county SF records, OP may be able to get a reduction in SF on the tax rolls, and a reduction in assessed valuation.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:26 AM

297 posts, read 738,043 times
The 2008 Wake County appraisals were completed right before the market crashed. Tough luck for all. My sf was based on pre-construction plans, so taxes were less than what should have been anyway. Then we completed the attic, and through permit and inspection, our sf was corrected and elevated. And so were our taxes, even though the market value was lowered. They applied 2008 measures.

I agree with the poster who pointed out that the difference monthly is not all that significant. The term "let sleeping dogs lie" also comes to mind.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM

127 posts, read 214,427 times
What about new construction assessments? Last year I contacted the assessor's office because our home was assessed the highest on our newly constructed street. Higher than the homes with pools, outdoor kitchens, etc. Higher than the EXACT same house across the street. Square footage is roughly the same on all the homes, as are finishes, etc. The only explanation they could provide is we have a small bump out in our garage (roughly 4x8) where my husband keeps his tools, etc. (but so does the house across the street - the only difference is we back up to the woods and they don't). I cannot believe they told me that was probably the reason over a home with a pool! Does a wooded lot warrant more taxes?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post
What about new construction assessments? Last year I contacted the assessor's office because our home was assessed the highest on our newly constructed street. Higher than the homes with pools, outdoor kitchens, etc. Higher than the EXACT same house across the street. Square footage is roughly the same on all the homes, as are finishes, etc. The only explanation they could provide is we have a small bump out in our garage (roughly 4x8) where my husband keeps his tools, etc. (but so does the house across the street - the only difference is we back up to the woods and they don't). I cannot believe they told me that was probably the reason over a home with a pool! Does a wooded lot warrant more taxes?
The tax guys don't care much about pools. They care about finished square feet and level of finish, generally speaking.

A pool in this area is not necessarily a "positive."

A finished basement will be, though. To the tax man, anyway.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 AM

282 posts, read 817,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conigam View Post
Pools don't count for much. Mine added about 5K to the tax value of the home. They also don't take into consideration the quality of the pool, an expensive custom gunite pool can add the same value as a cheap liner pool. Your property size will make a much larger impact on the final bill.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,069,466 times
the tax page clearly shows you the value assigned to the land and the value assigned to the buildings.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 PM

99 posts, read 181,247 times
I never bought or sold a home based on tax value.

I bought a home because:
A) I loved the home and it fit my (family) needs.
B) I got it at an awesome price based on previously comparable sold homes, renovated it an sold it for a huge profit.
C) I bought it at a great priced based on previously comparable sold homes, renovated it and rented it to generate income.

Mom always said, " Think ahead. No matter if you buy a home and own it for one year or for 20 years there will always come a time when you'll have to sell it, so get a good one."

She was right.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 AM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times
Just another comment. We should not confuse "appraisal" with "assessment". The appraisal is related to the dollar amount that the bank/investor is willing to lend on the purchase of the property at a certain point in time. The assessment is the basis on which the county/city raises certain taxes in order to satisfy budgetary needs. Assessors do not even need to see the property, nor are they necessarily licensed appraisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary