Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelChris View Post
Do you mean Brightleaf at the Park in Durham? Not really a great part of town, but not the worst.

If you really want to be in a good neighborhood within 30 minutes to Duke, you should probably look in Chapel Hill.
Chapel Hill is a great town but I do not think with a budget of 300,000 the OP will find a newer home with an updated kitchen.

You can find newer in other towns but most likely they would not be custom homes for 300,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
Do you know where he will be parking? Not everyone at the hospital gets convenient parking. Many people have to park at a remote lot and take one of the busses. Something to keep in mind with door to door commute time.
This is a great point. The remote lots can add about 20 minutes to your commute time because you need to wait for the bus to then shuttle you to the hospital.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I suggest you live as close to work as possible. There are many nice areas of Durham that a Durham realtor could show you. And if schools are important, they could guide you.

This area is growing like crazy and what is an acceptable commute now will be unbearable in 5 or so yrs. I am experiencing this as are my colleagues who live all across the triangle and drive to Durham. Be aware that while folks may tell you Chapel Hill is a good option, homes costs a lot more there and inventory is lower. And, honestly, the commute can be no better than coming from certain areas of Raleigh/Cary, etc.. If you look at Chapel Hill, see if you can be around the Erwin Rd area where Durham and CH meet which is 10 mins from Duke hospital.

Areas close to the hospital are Hillsborough (20 mins), NW Raleigh/Leeseville Rd/Creedmoor Rd (nice homes around there), Brier Creek - new build with shopping, movies, etc., certain areas of Morrisville. Someone suggested Kitts Creek, that would be good. NW Cary. Any further into Cary or to Apex is taking a chance that your commute will grow to be burdensome. I know folks who live in Creedmoor, NE of Durham. It's a small town, homes are mostly new build. I think their commute is 20-25 mins?

The Durham freeway northbound coming from 40 is getting to be a hassle during rush hour 7a-8:30a. It always seems to be pretty jammed. More wrecks than there used to be due to increase in traffic. Folks from other areas say this is nothing compared to where they moved from. But, it's a big deal if you go to Durham on a couple rds like the freeway and 40 and each has a wreck that adds 10 mins to your commute which could make you 20 mins late for work. Just some things for you to consider.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Agree with you all about CH prices. I think they'd need to throw in another $100k to find a small, older fixer upper. No way could the OP find a new, custom anywhere in the hot areas for $300k - more like $450-$600k.

They could be parking as far away as Hillsborough Rd -who knows!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,049 times
Thank you for all of the advice/questions!
We definitely don't want to be in the "not the best, not the worst" part of town. That's a super helpful comment.

As far as what we're looking for, we don't have kids yet but plan to start a family within the next few months/year. That being said, we may not be interested in a great school system but that is key for resale purposes. We enjoy outdoor living and would like to be close to walking trails/park for us and our Boxer pup! We would like at least .25 of an acre- or a little more. We want to be in a neighborhood but not "on top" of our neighbors. We want a minimum of 2000 sq ft house with upgraded kitchen.

It sounds like we should check out some Chapel Hill homes as well as Morrisville according to your posts.
Any up and coming neighborhoods to specifically check out there (other than Kitts Creek)??

Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I am in Chapel Hill and I agree with the other posters that you are unlikely to find new home construction w/in the Chapel Hill city limits, esp school district, for only $300K.

You may find something in that range in Chatham County. Not sure how much homes are going for in Briar Chapel. You might also check out SW Durham.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 PM

30 posts, read 53,782 times
I'm in the same boat looking for a home. Maybe do some temporary renting while you get used to the community and maybe explore while you reside in DUrham.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:42 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
People have been wanting to live within 30 minutes of Duke for a long time, so new construction is a big ask. For a bigger lot, 2000+ sq ft, <$300K and walking trails, I'd be looking houses in Woodcroft with updated kitchens.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
If you can't have everything on your list I would choose nice safe
neighborhood & good schools for the kids over "new" construction..

Creedmoor Rd/Crosswinds & Leesville area in Raleigh are less than
30 minutes to Duke, great schools and amazing community..

Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlepine View Post
I'm in the same boat looking for a home. Maybe do some temporary renting while you get used to the community and maybe explore while you reside in DUrham.
This is my usual recommendation to people when they first get to the area. We tried to buy from out of state and it is not ideal and is difficult. If you are unsure of areas, rent first and decide what you like without the time pressure and then buy. This way you get a feel for the commute and the different areas nearby. Plus in some areas inventory is low so, there is competition for some properties- this adds an extra challenge when you are trying to buy quickly.

There are many safe apartment complexes with nice amenities within a short commute to Duke. If you call around you can even find out if any offer short term leases, 6 months vs 1year. Brier Creek has plenty of rentals with shopping close by, Southpoint is another option. I am not familiar with the Creedmor Rd area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary