Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 PM

610 posts, read 746,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
They dropped my rate when I called in the day AT&T announced GigaPower was coming to Cary. I may call again to see what else they can do to retain me as a customer considering the value AT&T offers right now.
My husband called last week hoping for a discount and they laughed in his face. They truly don't care about losing customers. And they've lost us. We're switching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:15 AM

288 posts, read 361,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Still waiting for my 200MB service...
Is TWC going to offer that soon? That's even faster than Google Fiber at 1.6 Gbps.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Is TWC going to offer that soon? That's even faster than Google Fiber at 1.6 Gbps.
Yea yea, you know what I meant.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:10 PM

234 posts, read 237,877 times
TWC is burying some new lines in my neighborhood (Tryon rd between Piney Plains and SE Cary parkway). When I asked the contractors about it, they just told me they are replacing the current lines but don't know if it will be the new speeds or not.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 PM

455 posts, read 918,947 times
http://stopthecap.com/2015/05/25/cha...-billion-deal/

Charter Communications could announce as early as tomorrow its intention to acquire Time Warner Cable for nearly $55.1 billion in cash and stock and Bright House Networks as part of a separate transaction worth north of $10 billion to create the country’s second largest cable operator under the Charter Spectrum brand.

Bloomberg News reports Charter will offer $195 a share — $100 in cash and the rest in Charter stock for Time Warner. The deal will load down Charter in debt. Several Wall Street banks spent more than two weeks assembling a large financing package, but even that would not be enough to seal a deal. Dr. John Malone’s Liberty Broadband, Charter’s largest shareholder, has agreed to inject $5 billion in Charter stock purchases to help fund the deal.

Unlike the Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal, this one includes a $2 billion deal breakup fee, payable if the merger falls apart. Analysts predict a possible rival bid for Time Warner Cable by Drahi’s Altice SA as well as antitrust concerns.

The deal would quadruple the size of Charter Communications overnight and would represent a massive change for Time Warner Cable customers. Charter uses a simplified pricing approach with fewer choices for Internet and television service, but that could come at a significantly higher price than what Time Warner Cable customers are used to paying. Charter is now advertising “no data caps” which is good news, although how long that lasts is anyone’s guess.

The future of Time Warner Cable’s Maxx upgrade program is in doubt if Charter successfully buys the company. Charter’s proposal to acquire Time Warner Cable in 2014 offered a more modest upgrade plan.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:32 PM

Ugh, I knew something would flub up this Maxx upgrade somehow.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:03 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Well. Hopefully any disruption will come too late for upgrades here. In theory they are required to operate as separate companies until the merger closes and since all this has been announced it's probably in the works already. Also, if while trying to do a merger of this type, you suddenly put the brakes on promised upgrades it would not look super awesome in the view of three letter agencies that have to approve of it or the general public.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:27 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well. Hopefully any disruption will come too late for upgrades here. In theory they are required to operate as separate companies until the merger closes and since all this has been announced it's probably in the works already. Also, if while trying to do a merger of this type, you suddenly put the brakes on promised upgrades it would not look super awesome in the view of three letter agencies that have to approve of it or the general public.
Sensible. Hoping "sensible" matters...

Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Silly me. Of course the cable companies can be trusted and relied upon to do the right thing and act honorably. I'll go hide under my rock again and continue waiting...

Old 05-26-2015, 08:13 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
Doesn't look like Charter has any agreements with Earthlink. Thought I dodged a bullet with Comcast, but back to square one now if this approved. Folks at DSLReports think Maxx upgrade still happens. Also, Charter doesn't have any caps. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary