Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 AM

288 posts, read 361,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Any news on a date of this? Will we 30/5 customers get bumped?
When TWC announced this last summer, I believe they said that the upgrade should be complete "by the end of 2015". I was never expecting anything to happen until December, and still wonder whether TWC will follow through on their commitment in the absence of meaningful competition from AT&T and Google.

In other words, I'm sure that TWC will offer the Maxx service if they are losing lots of customers to AT&T and Google, but I'm skeptical that they will give everybody in the region free speed upgrades before it gets to that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
A month ago they started KC and said Dallas and San Antonio would be following in the next few months.

San Antonio apparently is seeing a March-July rollout, while Dallas is also getting underway on the TV part with faster Internet coming in early summer.

Looks like maybe we're behind those markets on the list, as I haven't seen anything specific on timing for our area beyond "2015".

30/5 customers should get bumped to 200/20.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
All this despite the gov't trying to disallow competition. It still happens sometimes. Hallelujah!
Reminder that when the government has tried to create competition, like in cities installing last-mile fiber so people could choose between services, the major carriers have fought it to preserve their monopolies.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Reminder that when the government has tried to create competition, like in cities installing last-mile fiber so people could choose between services, the major carriers have fought it to preserve their monopolies.
That's a case of a local government wanting to create competition (or really filling an unserved need like in Rocky Mount) but a higher level (State of NC) banning it due to being in the pockets of ATT.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 PM

147 posts, read 230,301 times
Buy a tv antenna rabbit ears, you might be surprised to get the local networks and up to 41 channels in crystal clear digital signal that is crisper than cable, combine it with your new high speed internet connection and enjoy the on demand channels that "kids" are watching, like Hulu+, and Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video and you will not notice that you don't have to send twc a huge bonus check every month.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Here it comes...TWC announcing the start of the process in the Triangle with notices going out to customers this month. As in other areas, it will start with consolidating video services into digital, making way for the Internet speed boosts. Upgrades should be done by the end of the year, so it may be awhile yet for some.

According to WRAL, Maxx will come first to Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, with other towns following later.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:27 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Woot!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
I had TWC Basic until yesterday. 6/1mbps, testing at 3/1.

My bill (which was $30 less than a year ago)had crept up to $43, I got a telemarketer call from TWC the night before and was ready to cancel. I looked up Earthlink, they were offering 15/1 for $30 for six months, and then $43 after.

So I called up TWC and told them I was getting ready to cancel for Earthlink, and just wondered what they might do to save me the hassle of standing in their long, inefficient line to turn in my equipment.

About 8 minute later, my bill is down from $43 to $37 and my speed is up to 30mbps up (testing at just over 20, but still). Price is locked for a year. At that time, I should be able to switch over to Google.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I had TWC Basic until yesterday. 6/1mbps, testing at 3/1.

My bill (which was $30 less than a year ago)had crept up to $43, I got a telemarketer call from TWC the night before and was ready to cancel. I looked up Earthlink, they were offering 15/1 for $30 for six months, and then $43 after.

So I called up TWC and told them I was getting ready to cancel for Earthlink, and just wondered what they might do to save me the hassle of standing in their long, inefficient line to turn in my equipment.

About 8 minute later, my bill is down from $43 to $37 and my speed is up to 30mbps up (testing at just over 20, but still). Price is locked for a year. At that time, I should be able to switch over to Google.
Whoa, you're on the 30/5 plan for $37/mo?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:43 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Whoa, you're on the 30/5 plan for $37/mo?
No TV or phone, just the internet.

Thing is they know that the earthlink plan is out there. He tried to offer it to me at a higher price and I told him (truthfully) that I would just cancel. I was happy with the 5/1 plan's performance. Just not with the 50% price increase in less than a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary