Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 01:08 PM

455 posts, read 918,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
TWC is giving me 300Mbps download and I still want more. Does that make me a bad person?

Nope. I haven't even got my 300Mbps yet and I want my Google Fiber...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:41 PM

115 posts, read 277,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
TWC is giving me 300Mbps download and I still want more. Does that make me a bad person?
Absolutely not. 99.9% of the time, TWC gives people headaches.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:49 PM

210 posts, read 426,202 times
I just checked, and I am getting 118 Mbps over 11.86 Mbps - Same thing happened to me in NYC a couple of years ago. TWC just bumped my 50 to 100 at no additional cost. I wonder why since TWC is so greedy.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:05 AM

70 posts, read 162,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I just checked, and I am getting 118 Mbps over 11.86 Mbps - Same thing happened to me in NYC a couple of years ago. TWC just bumped my 50 to 100 at no additional cost. I wonder why since TWC is so greedy.
Now all there channels are digital so you will always need to rent a box from them.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I suspect this is being done for two reasons; first, to deincentivize customers from moving to the competition who may be promoting fiber, and also because the government has been pressing ISP's to bump up their minimum broadband offerings. The latter has an upwards ratcheting affect on all the tiers of service that an ISP provides since they have to upgrade their hubs to meet the new minimum requirements.

It's good that the Raleigh area is seeing these increases in broadband speeds as it's vitally necessary if we're going to continue to promote ourselves as "The Research Triangle". High-speed internet access is the highway to the future and the better our infrastructure the sooner we'll get there.

What can be done with these high-speed connections? Well, if you're a neuroscientists at Duke University your test monkey can more efficiently control robotic legs in Japan with TWC's bump in capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSaBOd4pQpM

Old 08-27-2015, 08:50 AM

We're starting to look for a new house...is it wrong that I'm considering eliminated Apex because they aren't getting Google Fiber?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
We're starting to look for a new house...is it wrong that I'm considering eliminated Apex because they aren't getting Google Fiber?
No, and here's why: People make home purchase decisions all the time based on utilities (i.e., gas versus electric, private well versus public water). We live in a time where Internet access and related speeds are increasingly significant (think VoIP, Skype, news and entertainment, personal finance, etc.), why would you not consider the types of Internet services available both now and in the future?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
No, and here's why: People make home purchase decisions all the time based on utilities (i.e., gas versus electric, private well versus public water). We live in a time where Internet access and related speeds are increasingly significant (think VoIP, Skype, news and entertainment, personal finance, etc.), why would you not consider the types of Internet services available both now and in the future?

Yup. I have people all the time tell me I'm crazy, but they're also not technically savvy people.. I'm a tech person by trade. My wife is a graphic designer who works from home. Internet is important to us..greatly.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 AM

252 posts, read 275,832 times
Quote:
Yup. I have people all the time tell me I'm crazy, but they're also not technically savvy people.. I'm a tech person by trade. My wife is a graphic designer who works from home. Internet is important to us..greatly.
Best single decision I've made with TWC/internet is to get my own modem and ditch their junk.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Who says they wont in the future? I would not make a buying decision based on internet alone, because you can get high speed internet there now. In 5 years gb internet will probably be the norm for many areas. Even cable will probably be 200mbps+ by that time. These companies are getting pushed hard right now to increase speed from the government and from competition. I think the whole internet/tv is starting to take a major shift now and will continue to in the coming years. Lots of people are dropping cable and streaming tv/movies. If that continues then bandwith will need to be increased, especially once 4k becomes more widely adopted. Buy a home based on more important things like neighborhood, school, amenities, commute, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary