Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 AM

455 posts, read 917,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Who says they wont in the future? I would not make a buying decision based on internet alone, because you can get high speed internet there now. In 5 years gb internet will probably be the norm for many areas. Even cable will probably be 200mbps+ by that time. These companies are getting pushed hard right now to increase speed from the government and from competition. I think the whole internet/tv is starting to take a major shift now and will continue to in the coming years. Lots of people are dropping cable and streaming tv/movies. If that continues then bandwith will need to be increased, especially once 4k becomes more widely adopted. Buy a home based on more important things like neighborhood, school, amenities, commute, etc....
Internet speed is important to me. The only reason I stick with TWC now is because there's no cap. Google Fiber has no cap. AT&T U-Verse has a cap.. What's the point of fast internet if you can hit your cap in days..

I get what you're saying, but is it worth a 250k gamble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,416,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
Internet speed is important to me. The only reason I stick with TWC now is because there's no cap. Google Fiber has no cap. AT&T U-Verse has a cap.. What's the point of fast internet if you can hit your cap in days..

I get what you're saying, but is it worth a 250k gamble?
Internet speed is important to me too, but I would not base a buying decision on it. You can get high speed internet just about anywhere in the Triangle so your needs can be met. I could understand if an area didn't have it at all, but you should have coverage from Time Warner or ATT and both offer fast internet. Even 50mbps is sufficient for 99% of people who play online games, stream movies, download large files, etc... I'm doing it now with 15mbps until Time Warner bumps me up to 50. I could spend more and get faster speeds but I haven't found a reason to yet.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Internet speed is important to me too, but I would not base a buying decision on it. You can get high speed internet just about anywhere in the Triangle so your needs can be met. I could understand if an area didn't have it at all, but you should have coverage from Time Warner or ATT and both offer fast internet. Even 50mbps is sufficient for 99% of people who play online games, stream movies, download large files, etc... I'm doing it now with 15mbps until Time Warner bumps me up to 50. I could spend more and get faster speeds but I haven't found a reason to yet.
Technically I agree. But I offer the following caveat: In 1994 when I purchased my first brand new PC it had a 40 MB hard drive and I remember thinking I would never need that much storage. Then I thought that again when my next PC had a 250 MB hard drive.

If the telecom companies aren't planning on running fiber to an area anytime soon that could eventually become more than an inconvenience in the blink of an eye.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:22 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,715,987 times
Quote:
As NYC2RDU said, you probably can't count on that being the case for too much longer. Plus the only reason you are getting the 50 meg bump is due to the fiber competition coming.

Even right now, in my neighborhood, we have the choice of 3.0/.384 DSL or Time Warner. ATT has done nothing except promise upgrades will come one day for the last 8 years. So, having fiber would be as good as anything to factor in your purchase requirements.

I agree it would not be best to be the only thing, but there are enough similar types of housing in the area that it could easily sway you.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,416,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Technically I agree. But I offer the following caveat: In 1994 when I purchased my first brand new PC it had a 40 MB hard drive and I remember thinking I would never need that much storage. Then I thought that again when my next PC had a 250 MB hard drive.

If the telecom companies aren't planning on running fiber to an area anytime soon that could eventually become more than an inconvenience in the blink of an eye.
In 21 years from now everyone will most likely have gb internet so this will be a moot point.

My point is you will get decent high speed internet almost anywhere in the triangle that will be fast enough for 99% of the population. There are exceptions, but I would not let internet availability be a major decision factor unless it was critical to your business or way of life. I play games online, download large files, have network cameras I monitor while away, a few smart home accessories, and stream movies/tv. Even with 15mb internet it hasn't been an issue for me. I'm excited for 50mb from TW and I would gladly pay for Google Fiber because it will actually save me money compared to what I pay now. Gb internet will be excessive but I surely wont complain when it comes here. I say lets move past and continue the discussion about Time Warner and their upgrades.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 AM

5,825 posts, read 6,888,620 times
Quote:
In 21 years from now everyone will most likely have gb internet so this will be a moot point.
In the early days of the PC, there was a quote about every time Andy Grove (Intel) came up with a faster processor, Bill Gates would release a new version of Windows that used more processor power. Who knows kind of bandwidth gobbling apps will be around in the decades ahead.

In terms of making a decision about a house, there are many locations in the area that only have DSL as an option. With Clear's demise, those folks will probably have to wait for 5G, which is years away.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:57 AM

307 posts, read 376,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
In the early days of the PC, there was a quote about every time Andy Grove (Intel) came up with a faster processor, Bill Gates would release a new version of Windows that used more processor power. Who knows kind of bandwidth gobbling apps will be around in the decades ahead.

In terms of making a decision about a house, there are many locations in the area that only have DSL as an option. With Clear's demise, those folks will probably have to wait for 5G, which is years away.
4k streaming is already on the way and will use huge amounts of bandwidth.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM

288 posts, read 360,541 times
Quote:

My point is you will get decent high speed internet almost anywhere in the triangle that will be fast enough for 99% of the population. There are exceptions, but I would not let internet availability be a major decision factor unless it was critical to your business or way of life. I play games online, download large files, have network cameras I monitor while away, a few smart home accessories, and stream movies/tv. Even with 15mb internet it hasn't been an issue for me. I'm excited for 50mb from TW and I would gladly pay for Google Fiber because it will actually save me money compared to what I pay now. Gb internet will be excessive but I surely wont complain when it comes here. I say lets move past and continue the discussion about Time Warner and their upgrades.
If you have streamed video over your 1 Mbps uplink, I'm kind of surprised that you haven't imagined the possibilities with a symmetrical gigabit connection. The current consumer-grade webcams (<$100) can push a 2 Mbps stream at 1080p, but the bandwidth requirements will increase as the video encoder chips steadily improve.

When I'm at the office, I'd like to keep a browser window open in the background that is simultaneosly streaming all of my home webcams, but with limited upstream bandwidth from my home, it's not really feasible. Even with the highest level of the TWC Maxx service, I would only be getting 20 Mbps upload speed, and would be worried about filling that up with webcam streaming. If I was given a choice between 300/20 and 100/100, I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat.

The best part about symmetrical gigabit is that it just removes the home broadband connection as a bottleneck. I can go nuts with video streaming and buy the latest 4K webcams (which are starting to hit the market), and not have to worry about the line from my house slowing me down.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:56 PM

455 posts, read 917,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

You get me.

I have 50mb now and it irritates me lol.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 PM

71 posts, read 99,096 times
just activated my sb6183, seeing 16/4 down/up in 27523 but still getting 37/6 mbps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary