Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 8,315 times

Advertisements

I was told 10/6 for 27713.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM

115 posts, read 277,067 times
I didn't have an issue after all. Turns out my 2+ year old laptop is just really slow. I connected my 6 month old desktop to my 6183 and got 268/23. Great to see those numbers.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:11 PM

353 posts, read 458,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malley0323 View Post
I was told 10/6 for 27713.

Oh well. Better late than never.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
TWC must still be working on their network in the areas they've already upgraded because in the last week my download and upload speeds have been very unstable.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
Im curious - for those that have gotten the upgrade, do you notice a tangible difference in performance?

IE - youtube buffering (skipping around a video for example, does it go right to the spot, or still buffer/load?), gaming, range (IE in the far reaches of your house with very little signal you used to get very faint reception, but now "very faint" = 50m down or something).

What are your experiences?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 AM

307 posts, read 672,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Im curious - for those that have gotten the upgrade, do you notice a tangible difference in performance?

IE - youtube buffering (skipping around a video for example, does it go right to the spot, or still buffer/load?), gaming, range (IE in the far reaches of your house with very little signal you used to get very faint reception, but now "very faint" = 50m down or something).

Most of the differences will be in upload speed. Download speeds have been pretty good for most users. Upload speeds have been pitiful.

Many people have technical problems with their Internet service from Time Warner, but unless they're involved in continuous media, such as Skype, they often don't notice them. Netflix and YouTube buffer some of their content when streaming to overcome minor glitches in connectivity. Problems we experienced included signal too high, signal too low, too many splitters, damaged coax from the street, wrong coax from the street, bad coax connectors, and so forth. All of these problems were with Time Warner materials - not our own. It took them about a year to get rid of the glitches we had, but we stayed on them until they did.

We switched to AT&T Gigapower a couple of months ago. Now we can't get Time Warner to cancel our Internet service. They sure know how to alienate customers.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Quote:
I noticed that the free Windows 10 upgrade downloaded quick this weekend on my wife's laptop. It clocked in at about 2.7 Gigs, BTW.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
Most of the differences will be in upload speed. Download speeds have been pretty good for most users. Upload speeds have been pitiful.

Many people have technical problems with their Internet service from Time Warner, but unless they're involved in continuous media, such as Skype, they often don't notice them. Netflix and YouTube buffer some of their content when streaming to overcome minor glitches in connectivity. Problems we experienced included signal too high, signal too low, too many splitters, damaged coax from the street, wrong coax from the street, bad coax connectors, and so forth. All of these problems were with Time Warner materials - not our own. It took them about a year to get rid of the glitches we had, but we stayed on them until they did.

We switched to AT&T Gigapower a couple of months ago. Now we can't get Time Warner to cancel our Internet service. They sure know how to alienate customers.
If you are having trouble getting TWC to cancel your internet service, I wonder if it would be worth contacting the NC Attorney General's office and filing a complaint?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:

If you are able to be connected via ethernet, you will notice a difference. But my setup, like many, is wireless so I'm getting anywhere from 45-60 down, and 20 up. Connected directly to the modem or router, and my down is 200-270 and 20 up.

If I really want to take advantage of the down speed, I'd have to get my house networked, which is a costly item, or try and seek out a faster router, which may or may not improve speed.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 11,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
When I go to that IP address it asks me for a User name and password. What could I use?
Unfortunately if you get prompted for a username and password, it's probably time warner's equipment and they will never give you that information, they will have to check the items I mentioned from their end. If it IS your equipment, its likely a modem/wireless router combo, and you can try the default login which is usually admin/admin or admin/password.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary