Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 06:18 AM

88 posts, read 221,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4gpb View Post
join costco and buy one of the netgear 802.11ac models. Lifetime returns policy, just like on my k-cup brewer.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Nothing. I know someone in Preston (27513) that got a mailer saying the new higher speeds were coming soon and to get a better modem.
In 27519. Got the flyer weeks ago. Not seeing any increase in speed and I have to reboot modem/router every week. This morning I was down to 2.9 up / 2.5 down! I sure hope Google will be better because I'm so tired of TWC internet. Had cable providers all my internet life (sans the dial-up days) and never had as many problems as I have here.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
We got a letter and our speed has increased dramatically! Yay!

Old 10-23-2015, 08:02 AM

95 posts, read 131,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
I have to reboot modem/router every week.
Having had service from both TWC and Uverse, I typically defend TWC and point out that the service and pricing are pretty indistinguishable, but one thing where Uverse has it all over TWC is in equipment. I have to reboot my TWC modem and DVR multiple times per week, whereas in a year with Uverse, I don't think I had to reboot even a single time.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 AM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
We're closing on the 28th, so I'll definitely be doing this. If they don't transfer my services to the new house with the proper rate, I'll just take my busines to AT&T, or at least lead them to believe..

So I called Friday afternoon, and the entire thing was pretty painless. I called and told them I had two things, and the second depended on the first, which was to ask why I'm paying 30 dollars a month more than the standard price for the 50/5 internet package. The guy looked, agreed and within a few minutes had me set up at the normal price. Shame on me for not calling a year ago ><.

Then I told him I was moving and needed to transfer my service so he switched me to another operator and within a few minutes my shutoff at the old and connect at the new was all set up. Apparently I don't need a truck roll, I should just be able to plug in my modem and it'll work. We'll see!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:00 PM

88 posts, read 221,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
We got a letter and our speed has increased dramatically! Yay!
Curious; what zip code are you in?

Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 AM

59 posts, read 69,492 times
One more day until the supposed roll-out. Has anyone seen a formal announcement from TWC identifying the areas that will receive the speed increase tomorrow? It seems like they're taking a "we can't be accountable for promises we never technically made" approach.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Sure does. I don't think I've received anything advertising in 27560. Who knows what will happen. Long run it doesn't matter as there's literally nothing they can do that will keep me from going to Google when it's available, but it would be nice to have faster upload until then.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:32 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfchip View Post
curious; what zip code are you in?

Old 11-02-2015, 09:01 AM

166 posts, read 418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
I thought it handled up to 54mbps but mine is not. I do not see any speed adjustments/config....just an old basic modem. I will play around with it. I actually have another old WRT54G I will try.
54mbps from a "g" router is a theoretical maximum. In actual use, you'll probably see much less.

More info: What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks ? :: SG FAQ

If you want to get a cheap AC router, you might want to consider...
$80 (approx) TP-LINK Archer C5 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router

The reviews are really good and it supports aftermarket open source firmware like OpenWRT, but I don't personally own one so I can't recommend a specific firmware build or version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary