Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
When you consider the significant number of people who relocated to the Triangle from the Northeast, where Friendly's still remains popular, it seems like a logical sort of thing.
Beware, North Carolinians, the Northeasterners are here and little by little they are taking over. Today it's Friendly's - tomorrow, your kids will all have New York accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM

580 posts, read 712,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Next thing you know, the raspy-voiced Carvel guy will be on local commercials too
We had Carvel- they both went out of business. One in Cary (near La Farm) and the other I think on Duraleigh. Don't know what happened as it was years ago, but they both did not last long.

I believe that man's name was Tom Carvel. I got my bday cake every year from there growing up.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylemphloem View Post
Is that a Friendly's going in on 15/501 @ Mt. Moriah near the new PDQ and Chipoltes up on the hill? The construction sign looks like a Friendly's, but it's a little small for me to read while driving. If not, it's another store with a red cursive sign that starts with an F...
No, it's Freddy's. They're also planning a Cary location at Searstone.

Freddy's bringing quick-casual restaurant brand to Durham, Cary

I wonder if the similar red cursive "F" is the entire source of the Friendly's rumor.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Beware, North Carolinians, the Northeasterners are here and little by little they are taking over. Today it's Friendly's - tomorrow, your kids will all have New York accents.
We've never directed our kids towards any kind or regional intonations. However, my 10 year old son said something last week that sounded southern. I pointed it out to him and he quickly stated that he wouldn't do that again....his own thinking

My wife and I have largely non-descript accents. Really can't tell where we grew up and both of us were raised in NY. Her very far up in NNY, me in the queens/LI area. Lost my Brooklyn-sounding speak a long time ago.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
We had Carvel- they both went out of business. One in Cary (near La Farm) and the other I think on Duraleigh. Don't know what happened as it was years ago, but they both did not last long.

I believe that man's name was Tom Carvel. I got my bday cake every year from there growing up.
Still get the Carvel cakes for my kids on their birthday.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post

You are correct.

I recall Carvel as a kid, even.

They still have them in grocery store freezers, maybe? Harris Teeter used to carry them.

I feel like I've been to a Friendly's at some point. I don't recall being impressed, but ice cream places don't impress me, though I do enjoy ice cream.

I think the cool thing about chains springing up in places where they didn't exist before is that people who never tried them can enjoy them, if they like.

I also think that a lot of the excitement is pretty much nostalgia. Which is cool. We all have a certain degree of nostalgia.

I recall loving Tastee-Freez as a kid. Just a soft serve cone of chocolate ice cream was quite exciting.

Oh... and DQ was here, but we rarely went there. I still am not a DQ fan and they've been here as long as I can recall.

I would, however, love it if In n' Out came here. LOVE IT.

Of course, they'd have to nail the experience, right down to being staffed by friendly people who don't act like they're inconvenienced by taking your order.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 AM

305 posts, read 761,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
No, it's Freddy's. They're also planning a Cary location at Searstone.

Freddy's bringing quick-casual restaurant brand to Durham, Cary

I wonder if the similar red cursive "F" is the entire source of the Friendly's rumor.

Aw, bummer. I did not need to know that there will be a store with funnel cake custard sundaes on my route home from work. :-) Not that Friendly's would have been better for my waistline!

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM

121 posts, read 177,919 times
Didn't there used to be a Friendly's off 64 in Asheboro near the turn for the zoo? I seem to remember seeing one there when we first moved to the area.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Yes, there was. There was also one over in Huntersville near Charlotte that closed a few years ago.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:43 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
I used to work at a Friendly's too (in NY no less). That was a hard job scooping ice cream 8 hours a day!! I hated those damn Jim Dandy's haha. They do have great ice cream though! We always get someone when we go to Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary