Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,157,027 times

Advertisements

There are fishing access piers at Falls Lake. I take my kids to the one at "Beaverdam" sometimes. You have to hike down a paved walking tail to get to it. I'd guess it's a few hundred yards of walking. There's no good bass fishing from the pier, but kids can catch bream, bluegill, perch until they get tired of reeling or you run out of bait. That's why I take mine there. Seems kids don't have the patience for "fishing", they want to go "catching".

See pdf map below of Falls Lake Beaver Dam Recreational area. I think they charge $6 per car to get in.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/f.../beaverdam.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,610,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
There are fishing access piers at Falls Lake. I take my kids to the one at "Beaverdam" sometimes. You have to hike down a paved walking tail to get to it. I'd guess it's a few hundred yards of walking. There's no good bass fishing from the pier, but kids can catch bream, bluegill, perch until they get tired of reeling or you run out of bait. That's why I take mine there. Seems kids don't have the patience for "fishing", they want to go "catching".

See pdf map below of Falls Lake Beaver Dam Recreational area. I think they charge $6 per car to get in.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/f.../beaverdam.pdf
Great, thank you!! Just what I was looking for! My son was really disappointed that he did not catch anything. I know what you mean about the lack of patience.
I have been dying to check out Falls Lake!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 AM

At those piers, if you fish close to the pier, within 6-8' of the pier, and stay within 2-5' from the surface, those panfish will eat worms all day long. Most are smaller fish, but if you just want to give your kid a chance to catch something, it's hard to beat.

I've been there with my son, and there were other people there fishing and not catching anything. We've never been there and not either run out of bait or left because we got hot, etc. We've always caught fish, by fishing shallow and close to the pier. No trophy or dinner, but plenty of excitement for youngsters. Plus there's a bathroom at the parking lot at the top of the trail. Kids can't seem to go 30 minutes without "going".

Beaver Dam is up Hwy 50, a couple of miles north of where 50 crosses Hwy 98.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
You need a license in NC no matter what the bait. The ONLY exemption is for under the age of 16.

You USED to be able to fish with live bait, in your home county, without a license, but not any longer.
well that's just a wee bit sad.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well that's just a wee bit sad.
I guess they needed another way to "tax" more people. But after thinking about it though, I think it seems fair to make everyone buy a license, not just some people. I think they changed that law several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: