Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Buy an end unit. Then you'll only have neighbors attached on one side.

There will always be some noise but with a 2 story townhome that is an end unit, you'll only have neighbors on ONE side.

Many townhomes are built so that the master bedrooms don't connect and the stairs are on the same side.

I've had many clients tell me that they never hear their neighbors unless they are hanging pictures or something similar.
Yup. End units are great.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 AM

397 posts, read 805,370 times
I ended buying a Lennar end unit townhome. Almost 2400 SF and 3 story. Not a cheap price townhome.

It has it's problems. Lennar apparently doesn't build units as good structurally. A firewall does not account for soundproofing.

My problem is from vibration and structural noise. My great room sits right behind my neighbors stairs. So every time he runs up and down them, you can hear the pounding through the walls. Even when I'm up in my 3rd floor bedroom, you can hear people sprint up and down the stairs through the walls.

It's structural vibration coming thought the walls, ceilings and floors.

To me that's unacceptable when you're paying 250-300k for a nicer townhome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 PM

188 posts, read 237,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I ended buying a Lennar end unit townhome. Almost 2400 SF and 3 story. Not a cheap price townhome.

It has it's problems. Lennar apparently doesn't build units as good structurally. A firewall does not account for soundproofing.

My problem is from vibration and structural noise. My great room sits right behind my neighbors stairs. So every time he runs up and down them, you can hear the pounding through the walls. Even when I'm up in my 3rd floor bedroom, you can hear people sprint up and down the stairs through the walls.

It's structural vibration coming thought the walls, ceilings and floors.

To me that's unacceptable when you're paying 250-300k for a nicer townhome.
I guess that if you could have chosen the standard pacific builder TH, you had not heard those sounds and vibrations since SP has the dead (air)spaces/structures between walls, right?

Old 08-09-2014, 06:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCool64 View Post
I guess that if you could have chosen the standard pacific builder TH, you had not heard those sounds and vibrations since SP has the dead (air)spaces/structures between walls, right?
I think you are looking forr guarantees that do not exist. If you are that sound sensitive you should look at single family homes. In the price range of SP's townhomes, you could find a single family home.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 PM

188 posts, read 237,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I think you are looking forr guarantees that do not exist. If you are that sound sensitive you should look at single family homes. In the price range of SP's townhomes, you could find a single family home.
Due to good locations and the good quality of SP's TH, I prefer townhome.
I have lived over 20 years in SFH, am getting old, so I am sick and tired of yard work, so TH is better.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 PM

679 posts, read 809,962 times
I used to live in a townhome build by Standard Pacific. It was built in 2006. I could hear the teenager next door running up and down the stairs in their house. I could also hear the thud thuds of their music. The neighbors also smoked on the screened in porch, and the smoke floated over to our porch. We could even smell it if we had the windows open in our house, both downstairs and upstairs. The townhome I lived in was a two-story; and in the neighborhood I lived in, they are selling in the mid 190s-low 200 range.

I rarely heard the neighbors on the other side of me when they were in the house. Most of the noise they made was late at night getting into taxis to go to the clubs, or slamming the porch door.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:29 PM

397 posts, read 805,370 times
The townhomes I was looking at were the upper end 3 story SP ones over in brier creek. The 2 story ones may be different.

If you do not share a wall and there's dead airspace between you and your neighbor, you are far less likely to hear noise...like structural vibration.

Most townhomes share a frame and they are attached together. So a firewall will help some, but the vibration carries throughout the ceilings, floors and walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary