Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times

Advertisements

So now that I'm "of a certain age", I am noticing that I'm having a harder and harder time reading small type close up. Yes, I've become that person who now holds a piece of paper as far away from her face as possible, while squinting and denying she needs glasses.

I've always had perfect vision and have never gone to an eye doctor before. So far the drug store reading glasses have done the trick, but I feel like my vision is getting worse and it's probably time to suck it up, get an eye exam and face the inevitable ("Ma'am, you need bifocals.").

Any suggestions for eye doctors in Cary/Morrisville/Southwest Durham? Should I just go to one of those EyeCare Associate type places?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I go here and see Dr O'Neal. I really like him a lot. http://www.eyesurgeonsmd.com/index.html. They are both ophthalmologists.

But if you just need vision care you can always go someplace like Eye Care Associates. My DH and daughter go to the one over by Kohls' in Cary. DH is not a fan but also hasn't switched to anyone else yet either. He complains every time he goes about super long waits, problems with them not wanting to give him his prescriptions and pressure to buy over priced glasses from them, but...he keeps going back.

Last edited by lamishra; 08-07-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 02:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
So now that I'm "of a certain age" ...
If you have good insurance go to an ophthalmologist (Medical Doctor) rather than an optometrist. This is not to disparage the integrity or skill of the optometrist. However, at that "certain age" you should be concerned about medical condition as well as refractive correction. As the years pass there will be an increasing risk of glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, etc.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Eye Care Associates is ridiculously overpriced.

Try Dr. Catherine Mauro (Chickos, but she uses the last name Mauro for her practice) at the Durham Costco. You do not need to be a Costco member to see her, but if you are you will save substantially on contacts or glasses if you buy them from Costco.

She's very skilled, and a very nice person. I've been trying to get into monovision contacts for years - she was the third eye doctor to work with me on it. She was successful.

A better recommendation came from my husband's retinal surgeon at Duke. DH no longer has to go to a retinal surgeon annually. His eye surgeon told him that he considers Dr. Mauro to be just as good as any ophthalmologist for a general eye exam and eye glass/contact prescription.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:58 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
I just went to see Dr Marion at NC Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat (Cary, NC Office - North Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat) in Cary - they have other offices (that I would recommend with hope that the wait times are a bit better - both my appts. were 45 minutes after the scheduled time!). I liked him very much and his staff did seem caring - though if I go back, I'll plan accordingly and take entertainment!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 PM

186 posts, read 330,780 times
I've had Dr. Stikeleather at Cary Vision Care ever since he took over Dr. XXXXX's (what was his name??) practice when he retired. They are located at intersection of NW Maynard and High House. Young guy, very knowledgeable. Has all the hi tech exam stuff to check out your peepers. Good selection of frames too.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
If you have good insurance go to an ophthalmologist (Medical Doctor) rather than an optometrist. This is not to disparage the integrity or skill of the optometrist. However, at that "certain age" you should be concerned about medical condition as well as refractive correction. As the years pass there will be an increasing risk of glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, etc.

I have great insurance but it only covers optometrists and ophthalmologists when they treat an eye disease or injury.

Normal refractions for glasses/contacts is not covered unless it's post operative care after surgery. My plan will cover glasses if you have had intraocular surgery such as cataract removal.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
I see Dr. Cynthia Rohm. She's very thorough. They have this contraption that takes a picture of your eyeball, so you don't have to get your eyes dilated. (I think it's an extra fee, though.) I have diabetes, so she was able to catch something that concerned her and sent me to an ophthalmologist. Turned out to be nothing serious, but I was glad she was looking out for me. (Which reminds me. I'm overdue for an exam!)

Eye Doctor Crabtree Raleigh NC Glenwood | 27612 | eyecarecenter

Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I have great insurance but it only covers optometrists and ophthalmologists when they treat an eye disease or injury.

Normal refractions for glasses/contacts is not covered unless it's post operative care after surgery. My plan will cover glasses if you have had intraocular surgery such as cataract removal.
No offense, but I would not consider that great insurance. I've always had some sort of vision care covered in my insurance (and I never used it). Generally, plans cover one preventive exam per year and up to $XXX for a pair of frames. Not sure about contact lenses.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 AM

12 posts, read 29,512 times
I really like Dr. Tina Singh at the Duke Eye Center Duke Eye Center :: Faculty. She is an assistant professor of ophthalmology at Duke, she's talented, personable and very good at discussing what she is looking for in the exam and why. You can see her at any of the Duke Eye Center locations. I had a detached retina that was missed by an optometrist. Since I almost lost my eyesight because of it I won't go back to an optometrist. To be fair, it was tiny at the time and easily missed, but my personal opinion is that an ophthalmologist receives more training in preventing eye problems. You might want to call your insurance and see if you can get a pre-authorization to see an ophthalmologist for preventive care. My vision plan won't cover it, but my medical plan does.

That said, I have gone to Dr. Catherine Mauro and have to second JKGourmet's recommendation. She's fantastic, reasonably priced and works with you to get what you want. She's not the doc that missed my detached retina by the way. She also volunteers her time and travels to poverty stricken areas helping children and families in need of eye exams. She's pretty low key and I didn't find out about that from her. So in addition to being compassionate she's also humble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary