Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Is there a place to report violations for trucks carrying construction material, soil, etc. thats flying all over the roads & cracking windshields, slashing tires? I try to stay back atleast 200ft or more but still I had to fix 2 cracked windshields & a tire in the last couple of months. Some of the trucks clearly say 'not responsible for cracked windshields' & they are atleast covering the material. But I have seen a lot of trucks that dont even bother to mention it or cover up the loose material they are carrying. And they travel 60+ mph on interstates. There should be a law in place to make them follow certain rules to cover whatever they are carrying so that it doesn't destroy others properties. Seems like they are getting a free pass & not being held responsible for the mess they are creating.

Call the company that owns the truck and report the truck number, trailer number if there is a trailer, where it was when the debris fell out of the truck and what sort of debris it was along with any damage done to your vehicle.

Trucks never get a free pass and they have to drive 60+ on the interstate because that is the legal speed limit.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, the HUB (Historically underutilized business - the NC name for the Minority/Disadvantaged program) status makes it much easier paperwork wise when you get the job, the project award is still to the lowest responsible bidder. If you meet the goal of 10% HUB participation, you fill out a form and bam you are good. If you do not meet the 10% goal, you have to fill out forms, plus you can be made to show you have made "good faith efforts" to recruit HUB firms, including advertisements in the paper, records of contacts, etc. The types of firms that can qualify are at least 51% owned by Women, Asian, Naitive American, Hispanic and African Americans.

If the prime contractor is already a HUB firm, you don't really need to have subcontractor HUB participation, so that does help. You would be surprised at the number of large construction subcontractors and contractors in the area that are set up as women owned business. But, having a bid that meets the HUB requirements does not let you leapfrog higher bidders unless they are unable/unwilling to provide the documents.

This is for state of NC projects. Some municipalities have more stringent requirements or classify fewer minorities/have varying percentages for different groups.
Believe me, I am quite aware of how many businesses are set up as women-owned businesses. We have to deal with this all the time. It's a sham....99% of the time we never deal with the "owner" but her husband or a son.

(To be clear my business is not really impacted by this so I have no dog in this fight - we see this in our customer base. Several good, local North Carolina companies are losing business elsewhere for no other reason than they can't "check that box.")

Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
I will try to do what I can. If I am driving its difficult to take pictures & memorize the license plates. Thanks for the tips & links to reporting issues. I hope people become more proactive & not just accept the situation. Report it as its costing us a lot. We have to either pay higher taxes to regulate them or pay for our car repairs. Either way its coming out of our pockets. I have lived in other states & have never seen as many open trucks like the ones here. Getting hit by debris is becoming an everyday thing for me.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Thread has veered substantially off topic and it's really a topic local to the Triangle anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: