Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Are you expecting that all 6 of them will wind up in Ivy League colleges, though?

I send my kids to public and I agree with your sentiment, but I surely do not expect them to do anything after high school but whatever makes them happy.
Probably just 5 out of the 6. The weakest link will have to settle for Duke.

Seriously, though...I would still send them to public school if I expected/hoped for Ivy acceptance. The best opportunities all the way around are at public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Look at high schools. Everything flows from there. There are a lot of options here for high schools too. Wherever you see a highly rated HS there are middle and elementary schools that are good that are feeding it.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
What were your specific issues with the schools in WF that The Reserve is zoned for? I looked it up and they are zoned for Jones Dairy, Heritage Middle and Heritage High, all highly regarded schools - especially JD and HMS which are both rated a 9 on Great Schools. My kids are at Heritage Middle and it is an excellent school.

In Wake County, there is not one best school. There are some great schools and some schools I wouldn't send my kids to. But the best school really depends on the type of environment that your child thrives in and the specific teacher your child gets.
I guess Wake Forest doesn't have enough 'cachet' for the OP....great schools be damned.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM

8 posts, read 20,455 times
How much is the average private school tuition? I'll tell you, around here, it's approx 25k x64? years of school left between them = 1.6 mil, without a home to live in.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Okay, in the defense of some who have posted about private schools, I just looked up Cary Christian, which comes in at a very "reasonable" approx 7k/year. So, it would "only" be $450k to educate our children before paying for their post-secondary ivy league educations.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllePlus6 View Post
How much is the average private school tuition? I'll tell you, around here, it's approx 25k x64? years of school left between them = 1.6 mil, without a home to live in.
Cary Academy is 20200 a year. So, yeah... not far off.

It is a thought for your kids once they reach middle and/or high school, if Ivy League is something you feel strongly about at that point.

I think most of the elementary schools are going to be fine for bright kids whose parents are involved.

You might also consider charter schools, if you wind up buying in an area where you don't really care for the schools. Charters aren't all equal, so you'd need to investigate that one.

We also have some good magnet schools that will be easier for your smaller ones to get into starting in kindergarten than it would be for your older kids to get into mid-elementary. They could shoot for those once they're headed to middle and/or high school, of course.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:54 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllePlus6 View Post
Ravenscroft (North Raleigh)
https://www.ravenscroft.org/uploaded...ent_Policy.pdf

Cary Academy
http://www.caryacademy.org/uploaded/...le_2013-14.pdf

Old 08-11-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
What were your specific issues with the schools in WF that The Reserve is zoned for? I looked it up and they are zoned for Jones Dairy, Heritage Middle and Heritage High, all highly regarded schools - especially JD and HMS which are both rated a 9 on Great Schools. My kids are at Heritage Middle and it is an excellent school.

In Wake County, there is not one best school. There are some great schools and some schools I wouldn't send my kids to. But the best school really depends on the type of environment that your child thrives in and the specific teacher your child gets.
The Reserve is assigned to Jones Dairy, which is currently capped, so they're sending the kids to Sanford Creek.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
OP?

I think that, given your husband's job location, you'd be really happy in Cary if you could find the right neighborhood. Do you have a realtor here yet? You might want to start there. Plenty of people here have used good realtors and could recommend one if you do not have one already. Not all realtors here are going to be great with all areas of town. They tend to specialize in one area or the other.

I wouldn't ask a realtor who sold primarily in Cary and Apex to find me a home in Chapel Hill or Wake Forest.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM

RedZin (love the name BTW) -

Cary is a great idea and I'm starting to lean toward Chapel Hill. We've met with a knee-jerk realtor so to speak (wanted to get inside of a property quickly), but are certainly still looking for the "right" one.

If anyone could recommend Cary, Wake Forest and Chapel Hill realtors, I'd appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary