Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:44 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,946 times

Advertisements

I know folks who live in the base zone for Holly Grove Elementary (and have lived there for years) and were told this past year when their son became eligible for kindergarten that they were not guaranteed a spot. They did end up getting in, as I'm sure most kindergarteners did, but they were specifically told that due to the cap, it was not guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:58 AM

52 posts, read 62,725 times
This is sad and proof of the failing education system in the nation. When people desperately and strategically flock to certain areas of a state, city, town or community to get there kid(s) into what's considered the best schools, to the point where limits have to be placed on the number of kids that can attend. "If I can only help one kid it was worth it". Nope! If you only help one kid you've failed in my opinion.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaster View Post
This is sad and proof of the failing education system in the nation. When people desperately and strategically flock to certain areas of a state, city, town or community to get there kid(s) into what's considered the best schools, to the point where limits have to be placed on the number of kids that can attend. "If I can only help one kid it was worth it". Nope! If you only help one kid you've failed in my opinion.
If people are flocking to NC to get their kids into "the best schools", then they haven't bothered to do some pretty basic research, and I don't have any sympathy for them. The schools, on a national scale, are pretty average.

As for the OP, Cedar Fork has been capped off and on (mostly on) as long as I can remember (I've lived here for almost 8 years). Just curious -- what is it about Morrisville that has you so set on it?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I know folks who live in the base zone for Holly Grove Elementary (and have lived there for years) and were told this past year when their son became eligible for kindergarten that they were not guaranteed a spot. They did end up getting in, as I'm sure most kindergarteners did, but they were specifically told that due to the cap, it was not guaranteed.
if they can only have 130 K's, and there were 130 K's who

a. had moved to the zone before said folks or
b. had older siblings already in HGE

then those would have priority. Right now - all the capped schools have some spots in various grades. That can change daily. Therefore, there is no "guarantee".

There's no guarantee where you move today = same elementary school in 5 years.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 AM

30 posts, read 66,282 times
It's not that we're set on Morrisville, it would just be an easy commute and from our research (aside from the cap issue) the school options look very good. We like central Cary and some parts of Apex too.

To the person who wrote about the 'flocking to the area' problem, you need to broaden your perspective. There are enormous sections of this country where the school systems are an overall disaster, and NC/Wake County comparatively really is that much better.

Honestly, as my wife and I have read through the responses above, we feel like this issue is even more unclear. Can someone provide an actual first-hand experience with a capped school?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Even if they could, it would not matter. Your child is an infant. The school assignments could all change in 5 years and schools handle capping in different ways.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Even if they could, it would not matter. Your child is an infant. The school assignments could all change in 5 years and schools handle capping in different ways.
This. If you really want the answer as to how it works today, just call the WCPSS main office.

Quote:
To the person who wrote about the 'flocking to the area' problem, you need to broaden your perspective. There are enormous sections of this country where the school systems are an overall disaster, and NC/Wake County comparatively really is that much better.
I'm the poster who apparently needs a "broader perspective". I'm not sure how much broader it can get, since I've lived in 9 different states across the country, including 5 different school districts (one of which was WCPSS) and two private schools.

Sure, if you're in a school district that is "an overall disaster", then an average school district is better. In theory, Common Core should even things out across the nation. However, it appears that most folks are confusing the actual Common Core with the way the curriculum has been implemented, and I believe it's on its way out.

Regardless, my opinion stays the same -- if someone is moving here because they believe the schools are great, I'd tell them the same thing I'd tell people who want to move here because the cost of living is "so low". Do your research. Neither of those two things is a reason, in and of itself, to move here. They are just a lack of barriers (i.e., they aren't reasons NOT to move here).

Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Given the way our school board swings back and forth politically, we'll have had three different assignment systems by the time your kid is ready for school. Unless you buy in a stable area, really hard to predict that far out.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:02 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryNC View Post

Honestly, as my wife and I have read through the responses above, we feel like this issue is even more unclear. Can someone provide an actual first-hand experience with a capped school?
I'll be as clear as I can if you tell me what you're looking for. I've personally been involved with reassignment, and of course many many many times I've been involved with the capped school issue for my clients. My child attends a capped school - Lacy Elementary.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:20 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree.

Cedar Fork has been capped since it opened which I believe is 9 years ago, maybe 10. The way they handle capping is not the same way that, say, Lacy Elementary handles it, simply because they face different numbers of people wanting to enroll. To be honest, if I were REALLY SERIOUSLY concerned about capping at Cedar Fork I would not buy there because anyone with two decent eyes can see that number of students already there (950) against the cap (1003) + the number of houses being built and about to be built + the demographic of the area (young and still having kids from what I can see) = no, you may not get in when your infant reaches school age. BUT - there is no way to know. What we all do know is that every school has a finite number of spaces, that's just a fact. Cedar Fork is adding a modular unit but that is only going to handle whoever is currently enrolled.

Would not be surprised if they send up a test balloon in the next few years about making CF a YR school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary