Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:02 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,364,740 times

Advertisements

For airport noise information, check out the RDU Aircraft Noise Program. From here, you can find the Composite Noise Countours (http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/noiseinfo/Composite_Noise_Contours_11x17.pdf - broken link) which show the noise contour lines, and the RDU Flight Tracks which show where the airplanes fly. The contour maps are not north-to-south, so keep that in mind when viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 AM

189 posts, read 754,250 times
I live in SW Durham, in an area which according to the Composite Noise Contours is not remotely close to any part of RDU's noise contours. I am horrified to discover that planes are flying directly overhead all the time. I can hear them inside the house, but thank goodness not enough to make the windows rattle and conversations stop. Nonetheless, I can hear them. This is one reason we veered away from Morrisville. Does anyone know what is going on? Like I said, we are NOWHERE near RDU's noise contours for current flight paths and future expansions.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:34 AM

5,746 posts, read 17,618,569 times
I guess that people don't realize that the FAA can change flight paths for an airport. Check out what one couple did in PA.

Couple protest jet noise with obscene rooftop sign - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/01/24/rooftop.protest.ap/ - broken link)

This is why my wife and I chose to buy a house at least 10 miles from the airport. By then, they are up pretty high.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 AM

355 posts, read 1,504,062 times
I think it flies quite low and loud over Carpenter Village. I have seen the wheels of the plane clearly. I'm guessing Twin Lakes is also under the flight path.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,439,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
I think it flies quite low and loud over Carpenter Village. I have seen the wheels of the plane clearly. I'm guessing Twin Lakes is also under the flight path.
Exactly why I would avoid Carpenter Village...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 AM

306 posts, read 1,137,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
I live in SW Durham, in an area which according to the Composite Noise Contours is not remotely close to any part of RDU's noise contours. I am horrified to discover that planes are flying directly overhead all the time. I can hear them inside the house, but thank goodness not enough to make the windows rattle and conversations stop. Nonetheless, I can hear them. This is one reason we veered away from Morrisville. Does anyone know what is going on? Like I said, we are NOWHERE near RDU's noise contours for current flight paths and future expansions.
Hi rhg

I fly in and out of terminal C all the time and I have noticed that I fly near or over Southpoint all the time these past few months. Hence, I agree that the paths may have changed over the past few months.

M

Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,931 times
I noticed the 'flight path' map is from 2002 but doubt it has changed.

I also know the flight paths change drastically, day by day depending on wind direction, so you'll want to see both maps.

HTH

Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 PM

189 posts, read 754,250 times
The Composite Noise Contours Map to which I referred is dated 2004. These documents are still uploaded as current public information. The region in which I live is perpendicular to the noise pattern--not a slight shift or change. It represents a flight pattern that is utterly contradicted by this public document. I live about 10 miles away from the airport, too.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,487 times
Default It's not a bird and its not Superman....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Okay....where is this in Raleigh that's 14 miles from the airport but you hear planes flying basically right over your roof?
I live just over twelve miles away from RDU and can tell you the planes both taking off and landing can be quite loud, sometimes to the degree that we stop talking to wait until they pass over.

And I'm something of an expert at dealing with this having grown up less then ten miles away from JFK in New York.

Mind you I'm not claiming the dishes rattle but it's loud enough that they can't be ignored.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,272,103 times
Again, I'll suggest you CALL the noise control officer at RDU and give them your address and they will be happy to tell you if the flight patterns have changed and how they have changed.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary