Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
Agreed. Wegman's is in an entirely different stratosphere. That place is like Disney World. Amazing. It's like a Kroger, a Whole Foods, and farmer's market all rolled into one.
Agree with you and Michgc. I've only been to Wegman's a couple of times as they didn't enter the DC market until after I moved here, but their stores are gigantic. They have stores within stores. It doesn't even slightly compare to any other grocery store I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
I don't shop at Wal-Mart - haven't in years. I actually do most of my shopping at Whole Foods. It is not as expensive as folks think - I pay just a smidge more for really good quality produce and meats. One can shop carefully and stay within a reasonable budget. And some things you would THINK are more expensive - cakes from the bakery, flowers, even some staples or paper goods - are not.

I recently started shopping at Food Lion - I've noticed no one has really mentioned that store in here, LOL. I actually made a conscious decision to support them because they do a LOT to support the community. But I don't like their meat - and a lot of times it's MORE expensive. Their produce is okay. I can make do with it. They have improved a LOT over the past few years.

I shop at Harris Teeter as well. It's hit or miss as far as prices.

I RARELY go to Lowe's. I can't say why - something about it just doesn't appeal to me.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 AM

386 posts, read 436,132 times
I swore off Food Lion when I went in there one time and they didn't even have vanilla ice cream in stock. I have no clue if our closest Food Lion does a lot to support the community, but I know they can support me better by keeping vanilla ice cream in stock.

My order of shopping is based largely on proximity, so I go with
1) Lowe's
2) Kroger
3) Trader Joe's
4) Teeter
5) WalMArt/Target
6) WholeFoods

Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Target in Brier Creek is the worst Target I have ever been in. Which was a surprise because it is so big. Their food section is a joke and they do not have fruits/veg. It is always so unorganized as well. I like that Lowes has a local veg/fruit section as soon as you walk in the door. I also like that they are a smaller locally owned store. Still, it would be nice to find a store where you can get all of your meats, fruits/veg and baked stuff.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:19 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I don't shop at Food Lion after some bad experiences with poor quality food there. I might buy candy from them or bottled water but nothing that's important. I see Food Lion as being the lowest quality store out there.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I don't shop at Food Lion after some bad experiences with poor quality food there. I might buy candy from them or bottled water but nothing that's important. I see Food Lion as being the lowest quality store out there.
I felt the same way when I went in to one when I moved here. We have Food Lions in Florida but they werent known for their quality. The one near where we live looks nice from the outside and the parking lots is easy and not congested. I guess I found out why once I went inside. I must say they had some nice fresh produce and thinks like big leeks and parsnips that usually look horrible in other stores like HT. Then I went to the meat section....... in the pork section there were bags of pork rinds. No lie. It was all a bit unimpressive tbh.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I felt the same way when I went in to one when I moved here. We have Food Lions in Florida but they werent known for their quality. The one near where we live looks nice from the outside and the parking lots is easy and not congested. I guess I found out why once I went inside. I must say they had some nice fresh produce and thinks like big leeks and parsnips that usually look horrible in other stores like HT. Then I went to the meat section....... in the pork section there were bags of pork rinds. No lie. It was all a bit unimpressive tbh.

I love food lion. The one I shop in (Cary Pkwy at Old Apex) has nice meat, nice produce and a good/friendly deli staff. I almost exclusively "shop the perimeter" (not a lot of packaged crap) in all grocery stores. The Food Lion of today is a far cry from the Ralph Kettner, chicken-bleaching days of yore.

I shop HT for fresh seafood and love their salad bar for a quick/healthy meal.

Finally checked out a Publix, and like them.

Kroger and Lowes: Not a fan. Probably just because they are laid out so differently than what I am used to, but I just don't relate.

Food Lions are hit or miss, but the nice ones are nice. I also like the one on Cary Pkwy and 54, and the repurposed Bloom on Davis (but not as much due to unfamiliar layout).

I think the deal with the Pork Rinds is that Food Lion caters more to some of the various ethnic populations. It means that things are available there that may not be elsewhere. I view that as a complete plus, and have always exercised my right to NOT buy anything that I didn't want. (EG: It doesn't concern me if they offer things I don't want, as long as they offer those things that I DO want.)

Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I love food lion. The one I shop in (Cary Pkwy at Old Apex) has nice meat, nice produce and a good/friendly deli staff. I almost exclusively "shop the perimeter" (not a lot of packaged crap) in all grocery stores. The Food Lion of today is a far cry from the Ralph Kettner, chicken-bleaching days of yore.

I shop HT for fresh seafood and love their salad bar for a quick/healthy meal.

Finally checked out a Publix, and like them.

Kroger and Lowes: Not a fan. Probably just because they are laid out so differently than what I am used to, but I just don't relate.

Food Lions are hit or miss, but the nice ones are nice. I also like the one on Cary Pkwy and 54, and the repurposed Bloom on Davis (but not as much due to unfamiliar layout).

I think the deal with the Pork Rinds is that Food Lion caters more to some of the various ethnic populations. It means that things are available there that may not be elsewhere. I view that as a complete plus, and have always exercised my right to NOT buy anything that I didn't want. (EG: It doesn't concern me if they offer things I don't want, as long as they offer those things that I DO want.)
Oh I am all for ethnic foods. I usually go in to Food Lion or Kroger (no more Kroger for me at the moment though but for other reasons I am probably not allowed to express on this board) for the ethic stuff. To me ethnic foods involve asian foods (Indian type and Thai type), Mexican. Not pork rinds in the cold case with the pork chops.
I live NW Raleigh and have tried 2 different food lions and wasnt impressed.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
Well! The Lowe's store that was the original subject of this thread is officially closed. Didn't realize it had happened yet, bee-bopped right over to do my shopping this morning and he doors were locked with signs up. Went across the intersection to the Harris Teeter, took me forever to find what I needed, and they don't carry my favorite cereal **sigh**, such serious problems... (I am kidding, I realize cereal type is a very minor issue in life)

Really, I think part of what we like in a grocery store is what we get used to. That was the closest grocery when we moved to the area so it became "my store", and I knew where everything was and how to find what I needed fast. Plus I liked their produce and meats.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Default Lowe's Foods #196, Millpoint Village Shopping Center, 3480 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary, NC 27518-1541

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Well! The Lowe's store that was the original subject of this thread is officially closed. Didn't realize it had happened yet, bee-bopped right over to do my shopping this morning and he doors were locked with signs up. Went across the intersection to the Harris Teeter, took me forever to find what I needed, and they don't carry my favorite cereal **sigh**, such serious problems... (I am kidding, I realize cereal type is a very minor issue in life)

Really, I think part of what we like in a grocery store is what we get used to. That was the closest grocery when we moved to the area so it became "my store", and I knew where everything was and how to find what I needed fast. Plus I liked their produce and meats.
Wow, it closed 15 days sooner that its targeted close day of Friday, 19 September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary