Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 AM

49 posts, read 60,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
none of the children on my street go to the same school, but that is NOT because the school system is assigning them that way, that is a choice different families have made based on magnet schools, charter school and calendar options. So yes, you might encounter that.
I understand that different families may choose to send their kids to a magnet or charter school rather than the school assigned to their address. But can I ask you to explain "... that is a choice different families have made based on ... calendar options"? If your assigned school has a traditional/year round approach and you don't want it, can you choose another (non-magnet, non-charter) school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If good schools are vital, avoid North Carolina.
Unfortunately, recent news is only confirming this. "Budget shortfalls are making children share textbooks", and crap like that:

Funding crunch means some NC students share textbooks

Some schools are indeed better than others. It depends on the neighborhood. I hate to say it, but look at crime, income, and the overall health of the neighborhood.

Is the neighborhood overall white or black? It's sad to say, but this makes a difference.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer97 View Post
I understand that different families may choose to send their kids to a magnet or charter school rather than the school assigned to their address. But can I ask you to explain "... that is a choice different families have made based on ... calendar options"? If your assigned school has a traditional/year round approach and you don't want it, can you choose another (non-magnet, non-charter) school?
Yes, you can choose a different calendar school.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:13 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If good schools are vital, avoid North Carolina.

The current state legislature completely disregards the value of teachers. Many are bailing out.

Perhaps the next election will flush these rats out, but that's not yet a done deal.
I'd have to agree with this. Good teachers are leaving the profession and the State for better paying opportunities. I think it will take a while to recover from the fall-out.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer97 View Post
Is this because school assignments change as population grows/shifts and some schools get overfull or new schools are built? Or some other reason?
Both.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
I've been living here over seven years and we had one dance with the reassignment devil which ended without any changes being made (North Raleigh). My sons have both started and finished every school they've attended including Elementary, Middle and High. The problem is much more pronounced if you're going to move to an area experiencing rapid expansion, that's just a byproduct of the phenomenon.

I can make a strong argument that the education my sons are/have received in Wake County has been excellent. My oldest son scored very high on his SAT/ACT exams last year and nailed 4's on all of his AP exams (my youngest is first starting High School so no clue how he'll do). My point is, my son didn't acquire the knowledge necessary to do well on those exams on his own, his teachers helped get him there.

Is it true we've lost some excellent teachers due to the economics of teaching in North Carolina? Yes. Is it true we've lost all or most of the excellent teachers? No. And it's insulting to those who remain to suggest as much.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM

363 posts, read 439,238 times
Poppydog, would you please tell me more about the neighborhood you live in? We are in our 50s, youngest in 8th grade this year, husband retired. We have been considering moving to Charleston, SC to be near my daughter. However, the neighborhood you describe sounds like exactly what we're looking for. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Unfortunately, recent news is only confirming this. "Budget shortfalls are making children share textbooks", and crap like that:

Funding crunch means some NC students share textbooks
I've had a child/children in the WCPSS going on 8 years, and have never seen a single textbook come home. I have spotted some in classrooms, but honestly assumed they were out of date. Do students even use textbooks anymore? All I've ever seen are worksheets.

Quote:
Is the neighborhood overall white or black? It's sad to say, but this makes a difference.
Seriously?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I've had a child/children in the WCPSS going on 8 years, and have never seen a single textbook come home. I have spotted some in classrooms, but honestly assumed they were out of date. Do students even use textbooks anymore? All I've ever seen are worksheets.

Seriously?
They have books....and not or of date ones. ..geesh. Some teachers only use them for class work only. My daughter brought home tons of school books over the years. ... but in high school she sometimes just wanted online assess to the book when it was offered so she didn't have to lug them home. WHT not ask your child's teacher what they are doing?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM

22,664 posts, read 36,760,081 times
You can get a textbook to take home if needed but you should be able to access them online as well. My kids have done science and social studies online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary