Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

Our middle school only has a classroom set if they have them at all. They are not allowed to bring them home, however, we were told at our open house that the instruction is generally not book based and they are really only to be used as an occasional supporting resource.
I think most of them are pretty out of date, in fact the science teacher told us the science textbooks were as old as the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:33 AM

52 posts, read 62,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If good schools are vital, avoid North Carolina.

The current state legislature completely disregards the value of teachers. Many are bailing out.

Perhaps the next election will flush these rats out, but that's not yet a done deal.
You can't get any funnier than that statement. With teachers unions running everything school related these days no telling what kind of perversions your kid might encounter, even in a highly rated school. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
They have books....and not or of date ones. ..geesh. Some teachers only use them for class work only. My daughter brought home tons of school books over the years. ... but in high school she sometimes just wanted online assess to the book when it was offered so she didn't have to lug them home. WHT not ask your child's teacher what they are doing?
Not sure why you think I haven't asked the teachers/administration -- I have.

They said that they don't really use textbooks anymore because they become irrelevant (i.e., out of date) too quickly, and it was an inefficient use of money.

It's interesting to me the level of independence individual schools have. I would have thought that textbooks would be a district-wide expense, and all schools (of the same level) would either have them or not have them.

Last edited by RedZin; 08-15-2014 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: DM me if questions

Old 08-17-2014, 12:38 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Not sure why you think I haven't asked the teachers/administration -- I have.

They said that they don't really use textbooks anymore because they become irrelevant (i.e., out of date) too quickly, and it was an inefficient use of money.

It's interesting to me the level of independence individual schools have. I would have thought that textbooks would be a district-wide expense, and all schools (of the same level) would either have them or not have them.
According to this article schools are receiving $14.26 per student for textbooks. Sounds like teachers are not given much choice but to teach without textbooks.

NC schools deal with fewer dollars for textbooks | Education | NewsObserver.com

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM

143 posts, read 201,723 times
WCPSS tried a "choice" program about two years ago, good intentions but terrible in practice, and it has been scrapped.

Every residential address has a BASE school assignment. So yes, you can determine what school your house would be assigned to.

The only reason you would not get your base assignment is if your school is capped. When you look up your assignment on the WCPSS website it will clearly state if your school is capped. This generally doesn't apply to Kindergarteners.

Wake has a large magnet and charter selection, plus calendar options. These are all distributed on a lottery system, so never "plan" on getting into one.

As other posters have said, if you are assigned to a good school in all likelihood all the neighboring schools are good as well. Especially since they move kids in large groups (nodes, which are neighborhood sections) and your child's friends are likely to be moving with them.

WCPSS actually released a new assignment plan yesterday, ironically. Several new schools are being opened in the next year - I would make myself familiar with the new maps as they are finalized. It's always nice to get a brand new school

PS: The textbook thing. With the switch to common core textbooks seemed to vaporize. Previously, my oldest used to lug home an extremely heavy backpack - so we don't miss lugging the books about.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
According to this article schools are receiving $14.26 per student for textbooks. Sounds like teachers are not given much choice but to teach without textbooks.

NC schools deal with fewer dollars for textbooks | Education | NewsObserver.com

did you read the article, which is from December 2013?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 AM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaster View Post
You can't get any funnier than that statement. With teachers unions running everything school related these days no telling what kind of perversions your kid might encounter, even in a highly rated school. Good luck!
NC in a non-union state. Public employees do not have collective bargaining rights. There is an association that represents teachers in the state. Membership is voluntary, and the organization is pretty toothless. They can lobby the General Assembly and issue public statements, but they don't have even a fraction of the power that unions have in other states.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
did you read the article, which is from December 2013?
Yes, why? I know the article is from December but it answers people posts about not seeing textbooks come home from school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary