Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
The more I read of the this thread the more is sounds like I am going to be stuck in the carpool.
Same here. We need to form a transportation co-op.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM

Weird. We lost our morning stop to WCMS, but the afternoon one is intact. This is interesting because my daughter rides the bus in the afternoon, but we take her in the morning.

They went all out with that bus plan.

We lost our son's bus entirely. I have been telling GHHS for a year and a half that we moved down the street and they somehow never updated it. We got in during the choice rounds in 2011, and we contracted for our house before they ended the choice plan, so the school told me it wasn't a problem and not to worry about it because we didn't even have to switch buses, just stops.

Now... no bus.

Bah. We'll have to request one.

Times like this make me wish the kid had gotten his license when I told him to. We have to wait now because of the crazy long permit requirements.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:28 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
They eliminated about half the stops on my daughters bus. They were all kids that got in on the choice plan and it was an insane route last year. Not sure if those people gave up on busing altogether or they expect all of them to get to the next bus stop.

RedZin I notice my daughters bus has a slightly different route in the afternoon as well. I'm surprised they were able to drill down and get that info and utilize it for routing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 02:35 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They eliminated about half the stops on my daughters bus. They were all kids that got in on the choice plan and it was an insane route last year. Not sure if those people gave up on busing altogether or they expect all of them to get to the next bus stop.

RedZin I notice my daughters bus has a slightly different route in the afternoon as well. I'm surprised they were able to drill down and get that info and utilize it for routing.
Per all my neighbors the stop has been down the block for several years. This is our base school, not a calendar option.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Same here. We need to form a transportation co-op.
Who is driving first

Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I'm still pretty pissed about loosing our bus even though we live in the "walk zone". The "walk zone" includes walking alone on a very busy 5 lane road. I took it to the board as well and they've still told me no repeatedly.
When we signed up for this school, it was a calendar option/choice school for us with neighborhood busing. Now 2 years into the school, which later became our base, and they take it away with one week's notice. I think it's reprehensible that when we choose the school we were told we'd have busing and have had it for 2 years. For people who need that busing, there was no opportunity to choose a different school as it was done too late to make any changes.
I also went back to work at this time and my work schedule was based on the fact that we'd have the busing we were promised.
Oh. And the bus goes right past my house!!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Yeah... My son's route was pretty short and I'm wondering what the other girl who rode with him will be doing this year, because they picked them both up here. I need to ask him how many more kids got picked up close to our house. I think that the bus was never totally full, but there were a good many students on it and the ride wasn't very long overall.

I'd rather not have to deal with GHHS carpool, but this is what letting your college-age son stay home is for, am I right? Middle kid WILL be driving by next year.

We've always driven my daughter because we don't want her getting mowed down in front of the neighborhood. Her bus picks up across the 4-lane just outside our neighborhood and the people who use that street as a cut-through to Weston Parkway drive like bats out of hell in the morning.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'm still pretty pissed about loosing our bus even though we live in the "walk zone". I took it to the board as well and they've told me no repeatedly.
When we signed up for this school, it was a calendar option/choice school for us with neighborhood busing. Now 2 years into the school, which later became our base, and they take it away with one week's notice. I think it's reprehensible that when we choose the school we were told we'd have busing and have had it for 2 years. For people who need that busing, there was no opportunity to choose a different school as it was done too late to make any changes.
I agree. That was slack. They should've told people last year that it might change this year so that they could make other choices if they wanted.

Which school did this to you? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't try that with us at WCMS. We live close enough that one COULD walk... it's probably just barely over 1.5 miles, if I had to guess. As the crow flies, it's surely less.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree. That was slack. They should've told people last year that it might change this year so that they could make other choices if they wanted.

Which school did this to you? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't try that with us at WCMS. We live close enough that one COULD walk... it's probably just barely over 1.5 miles, if I had to guess. As the crow flies, it's surely less.

ECMS.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 PM

Is there a minimum distance before they will bus students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary