Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I wasn't trying to say it wasn't true just because I couldn't find it but thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense.
Oh I know - we just went right to the source 2 years ago and asked the police. They could make a mint ticketing bus drivers around here. Not that I want to see that hPpen since it's not their fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I had no idea it was illegal for school buses to back up - seems pretty reasonable as far as safety is concerned. I was poking around for more information on this (though I can't find where it says backing up isn't allowed) and found this page:

https://www.wcpss.net/policy-files/s...s/7125-bp.html

"D.2: In the interests of safety and efficiency, buses will in general be routed on main thoroughfares, and buses will not be routed off of those thoroughfares for distances less than one-half (.5) mile, except for groups of ten or more students or for students with disabilities"

"D.3: Buses are generally prohibited from traveling into cul-de-sacs"
Good grief -- this sounds like some of the word problems that came home with my child last year...

If a bus can't go less than .5 miles off a "thoroughfare", but an elementary school child isn't supposed to walk more than .3 miles to a bus stop, how does the child get to the bus if they are between .3 and .5 miles off the thoroughfare? (please show your work)

Old 08-22-2014, 03:36 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Good grief -- this sounds like some of the word problems that came home with my child last year...

If a bus can't go less than .5 miles off a "thoroughfare", but an elementary school child isn't supposed to walk more than .3 miles to a bus stop, how does the child get to the bus if they are between .3 and .5 miles off the thoroughfare? (please show your work)
And the answer is: He doesn't get to the bus. His mom drives him to school since the bus route is too far from home and he has to wake up too early to get there.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
And the answer is: He doesn't get to the bus. His mom drives him to school since the bus route is too far from home and he has to wake up too early to get there.
You got the answer right, but I have to deduct a few points for assuming the child is a boy.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Update: We now have an afternoon bus for GHHS, but still no AM bus.

I believe this is a workable improvement. We can provide morning transport if we must. The afternoon was the major hurdle. Thing is, the bus will already be passing by anyway, so having it stop in the AM wouldn't really be out of the way.

Still waiting to hear from transportation about the morning bus. I think the neighbors across the street who have a child that was taking the afternoon bus already put in a request and that got us the afternoon stop back.

Whew.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
You got the answer right, but I have to deduct a few points for assuming the child is a boy.
Of course I assumed it was a boy, a girl is too confident and strong to take the bus or have mom drive her - she power walks to school.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
well, finally happened today that one of those kids who "aren't entitled to transportation" because they live in the walk zone was hit by a car today on the way to school in a crosswalk (my neighbor's child). He's OK, a little banged up but we've trying to tell transportation that it is not a safe place to walk/ride a bike.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
well, finally happened today that one of those kids who "aren't entitled to transportation" because they live in the walk zone was hit by a car today on the way to school in a crosswalk (my neighbor's child). He's OK, a little banged up but we've trying to tell transportation that it is not a safe place to walk/ride a bike.
Oh no!

That is terrible! Poor kid.

Maybe they'll listen now before a kid gets seriously injured.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Oh that happened at Davis drive El a couple years ago when a parent discharged their child on the road next to the school. And 2 years ago at DDMS a parent ran over their own child's foot in their haste to leave the carpool line. All before the sun even came up!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Oh that happened at Davis drive El a couple years ago when a parent discharged their child on the road next to the school. And 2 years ago at DDMS a parent ran over their own child's foot in their haste to leave the carpool line. All before the sun even came up!
And thus, we have come full circle...

There wouldn't be so many people in the carpool line if the buses could safely and reliably pick up kids who cannot safely walk to school.

Lamishra -- I'm so sorry about your neighbor! I'm glad he's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary