Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

Kelklos, Smith is where our neighborhood goes and I have heard nothing but good things about it. I don't know anyone who is unhappy there, although I'm sure there's always someone. If you're happy at Philips you'll have a win-win. I'd send him where his friends are. If he ends up making a lot of neighborhood friends send him to Smith, but if he ends up having more friends at Philips then keep him there. It will all even out in high school anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelklos View Post
Michgc - we brought with us his test scores and other relevant information, as I am sure you and your friend did too. They immediately placed him in compacted math 6, but after a week he is telling me that he has already learned these topics last year, so we are now looking at compacted math 7 for him. I think we may have it squared away by the end of the month. We talked to both his guidance counselor and also his math teacher, and they have been very helpful and seem to want the best for him.

He is going to Philips. So far he is really happy there - I would be hesitant to put him in smith next year if the enrollment opens back up, based on how well the staff has worked with us so far.
That's great! My daughter's test scores from our old district were too old, and she didn't make the cut on state test scores (95%) for compacted math even though she breezed through the 6th grade math work and got 100s on most of the tests during the school year. The math is really easy (and she was in a class with a lot of students who were behind in math and also disruptive), so we had quite a frustrating year. They were not looking out for her interests at all.

This year has been marginally better because she has better classmates, but the math so far has been really basic again. But unless she gets that 95% test score, they won't switch her. If we moved back to our old district, she'd go right into compacted math there, as she was in it all along there. Needless to say, we are not too happy with Culbreth.

My friend brought her test scores from her old school, but I think they weren't the same test they use here, so they wouldn't accept them, and they refused to put her in until she took "their test."

I have heard that Culbreth is the worst middle school in Chapel Hill, and from experience, I would agree. They lost a lot of teachers last year, and have a lot of young, inexperienced teachers. They still haven't hired a language arts teacher for my daughter's 7th grade team - they are using a long-term sub for the rest of the quarter until they can find one. Crazy! The principal is inaccessible. And the counselor we were assigned has her own agenda. Be glad that you were assigned to Phillips. It sounds like a much better and more reasonable school. I've heard good things about Smith, too.

Anyway, welcome to Chapel Hill. I'm glad you like it here so far.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM

210 posts, read 319,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
That's great! My daughter's test scores from our old district were too old, and she didn't make the cut on state test scores (95%) for compacted math even though she breezed through the 6th grade math work and got 100s on most of the tests during the school year. The math is really easy (and she was in a class with a lot of students who were behind in math and also disruptive), so we had quite a frustrating year. They were not looking out for her interests at all.
Oh that has to be frustrating! I know that scores are not the only factor and as a parent, when you know your child is advancing, it is difficult to hear that they won't place them correctly.

Quote:
This year has been marginally better because she has better classmates, but the math so far has been really basic again. But unless she gets that 95% test score, they won't switch her. If we moved back to our old district, she'd go right into compacted math there, as she was in it all along there. Needless to say, we are not too happy with Culbreth.

My friend brought her test scores from her old school, but I think they weren't the same test they use here, so they wouldn't accept them, and they refused to put her in until she took "their test."

I have heard that Culbreth is the worst middle school in Chapel Hill, and from experience, I would agree. They lost a lot of teachers last year, and have a lot of young, inexperienced teachers. They still haven't hired a language arts teacher for my daughter's 7th grade team - they are using a long-term sub for the rest of the quarter until they can find one. Crazy! The principal is inaccessible. And the counselor we were assigned has her own agenda. Be glad that you were assigned to Phillips. It sounds like a much better and more reasonable school. I've heard good things about Smith, too.

Anyway, welcome to Chapel Hill. I'm glad you like it here so far.
Yes, we are very thankful that we have experienced a positive change so far. I know in Minnesota the math was MUCH harder than what is being presented here, and my oldest had test scores of 99%+, and my youngest at the 95% mark. Both are reporting that math here is "easy". While that makes homework less stressful (avoid the crying and complaining over difficulty), it does warrant a watchful eye for math placement.

As I understand it, they are going to implement some testing later this month, which should help determine better math placement. I think the more parents can advocate and stay involved, the better chances there are for looking more closely at this and a chance of improvement. Based on their emphasis of math scores, I would think they would be HIGHLY interested in ensuring those who excel at math keep doing so. It is a win-win for both the kids AND the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary