Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM

25 posts, read 687,040 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking into options for my kids to practice swimming and refine stroke techniques through the winter months, and like to know what options are out there in this area. My kids are still young, and have a lot of other activities, so won't be able to do more than one class a week.

Last year, we enrolled in Triangle Acquatic Center Titans starters program, but we were pretty disappointed with the instructors. There is very little engagement, instruction or feedback, and they didn't seem to care how the kids performed. Personally, I found them to be rude and arrogant whenever I approached them soliciting any feedback or even simply trying to talk to them. We were also part of the summer swim team at TAC, and that was even a bigger disappointment. The 'coach' was just a paper pusher with no ability to swim or coach, and was exceptionally rude and arrogant. Needless to say, it was a frustrating experience altogether.

Ranting aside, I am trying to avoid having to go back there if there are better alternatives.

I tried reaching out to Wahoo swim academy, but haven't been able to reach out to any one to talk despite leaving several messages. Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with how their programs are for young swimmers they can share?

What other year-round swim alternatives exist for swimming in the triangle area? Appreciate any thoughts you can share.

Thanks
SteeelerFanNC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 PM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
I have no experience with them, but there is the Duke Aquatics youth team that swims year-round

Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 PM

580 posts, read 712,209 times
RSA- all my friends kids swam with them.
Waves.

But you did not say the ages of your kids. RSA is more than once a week I believe.
Any year round swim will be practices more than once a week.

Maybe you want lessons instead of a club?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
There are several YR teams in the area. you can also look at New Wave and MOR. How often they offer practice depends on their age, but you don't HAVE to go anymore than you want to. For example they may offer practice times 3 times a week for a 6 year old but if all you can do is one, then you make that decision (even though you'll still have to pay for it).
New Wave has a month to month program now and I think it's 2 times a week for 12 and under or something similar.

Raleigh Swimming Association :
Marlins of Raleigh :
New Wave Swim Team :

Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
What about the YMCA?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
The daughter of a friend has gone to Streamline. I think the practices are twice a week in the winter, but you can miss some. It's not uber-competitive. Just a way to keep getting better. I'm actually thinking about signing my 9 year old up, because she enjoyed summer swim team so much this year (first year). She definitely needs stroke help.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Aquatots is opening in North Raleigh on Six Forks Road and according to their website they offer private lessons focusing on improving techniques.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,129 times
Triangle Aquatic Center is filthy. The women's locker/shower room is always flooded. I found worms in the pool. Right after that, I stopped swimming and couldn't get a refund on an annual family pass which had 5 months to go.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 PM

360 posts, read 516,729 times
We're using Aqua Tots right now and it is a great fit for my 5 year old that has a rough freestyle and backstroke. He loves it and they are great about technique and sooooo age appropriate. He says he wants to join a swim team someday and I'm also confused about where to go :/ but he's making so much progress there and it's convenient to our house, that we haven't really considered what's next yet.

Not sure how far along your kids are but I'd recommend them for the younger ages/beginning swimmer. We haven't done the upper levels yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: