Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM

66 posts, read 82,553 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a townhome in Cleveland springs in Garner, NC. It is about 15min drive to Raleigh and thinking it would be a good investment opportunity. Seems like rents are around $1100 for a 1600SQFT townhome.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuser View Post
Thinking about buying a townhome in Cleveland springs in Garner, NC. It is about 15min drive to Raleigh and thinking it would be a good investment opportunity. Seems like rents are around $1100 for a 1600SQFT townhome.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.
You want to buy a townhouse in Cleveland Springs to rent out? Are you paying cash?

If not, I cannot see the benefit to buying a townhouse in a place that isn't in a very central sort of location.

Unless it's a foreclosure and you're getting it for a steal.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Those are the only townhouses for MILES.
And MILES.
Ever driven out there? There are goats grazing right up the street. Close proximity to goats is not really on a townhome renter's wish list.
I would think that would be among the last places a renter with a budget of $1100 per month working in or near any employment center would choose to live.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:14 PM

66 posts, read 82,553 times
Thanks for response. It was about $50K less in price compared to Raleigh, Durham, Cary areas. Seems like the rental range is in that amount as per rental search. It could be less income now for an investment opportunity but thought of growth in future.

Yes, I drove there but there is also so many people who bought individual homes in same community.

Still would like opinions of others if you have.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
Hello, I live out that way and know the area you are talking about well. It is growing, however, the roads have not kept pace with the growth. Once they build the rest of the loop it will intersect nearby on Route 50. The townhomes are just around the corner from brand-new income-based housing for seniors and low-income families. Unfortunately, I don't see the area appreciating in value in the near future. You might want to talk to a realtor or at least look at what the historical sales have been like in the area. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2014, 07:38 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuser View Post
Yes, I drove there but there is also so many people who bought individual homes in same community.
Thanks
That's because you can buy a detached home there for not much more money.

The same people who can and will pay $1100 rent for a detached home in Johnston County want no part of a townhome. If you are not familiar with Johnston County, you need to understand that it is simply not a location where attached multi family dwellings make sense to people choosing to live in that area. It might be only a few miles further out, but it is the country. That's why you don't see anybody building apartment complexes out there, either.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
That rent seems WAY off. My brother pays over $300 less per month for a more central location (border of Raleigh and Cary).

I can't imagine a townhome all the way out there renting for that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary