Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times

Advertisements

I keep my cars forever and plan to keep it for 10 plus years as I have infants, but I might think about a 2 to 3 yr old van. We got rid of the old one because it was impossible to get infants in and out easily. We bought that one pre kids, but at the time planned to keep it till the wheels fell off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Why buy new? As soon as you drive it off the lot you are losing thousands of dollars. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation. Buy something 2-3 years old and save 50% of the sticker price. To me that is the sweet spot.
I always question WHY someone is selling a car that is only 1 or 2 years old.

I buy new. I KNOW no one has smoked in it, it hasn't been wrecked, nothing "out of the ordinary" has gone on!

I agree that once you drive it off the lot, there is depreciation but...you also know that there isn't going to be any maintenance issues right away and if you maintain your cars (like hubby does), when it is time to sell or trade in, you get more value.

In my opinion, it all equals out, especially if you are going to keep the car 10 years!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

I buy new. I KNOW no one has smoked in it, it hasn't been wrecked, nothing "out of the ordinary" has gone on!

I agree that once you drive it off the lot, there is depreciation but...you also know that there isn't going to be any maintenance issues right away and if you maintain your cars (like hubby does), when it is time to sell or trade in, you get more value.

In my opinion, it all equals out, especially if you are going to keep the car 10 years!
I've traded a few that weren't very old. I traded one after only a month. Not kidding. I hated that car.

Sometimes people just realize they bought the wrong car.

I traded my CMAX Energi after 8 months. I cringed every time I walked past the lift gate after it gave me a concussion. Peace of mind was worth it. I was due 4k tax rebate for it, so that cushioned any loss.

Nothing wrong with the car for anyone who could ignore the lift gate.

In fact, I got a check for 800 bucks this summer for that car. Mileage settlement from Ford.

I like to think of it as compensation for my copays.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2006 TOYOTA SIENNA XLE/XLE LIMITED shows it was in an accident. IT HIT A DEER.

Hurricane Sandy was last week of Oct. 2012.

CA dealer in same dealer group offered to transfer it to CA!
2006 Used Toyota Sienna Limited at East Bay BMW Serving San Jose, San Francisco &Oakla, CA, IID 12336708

Storm Surge that totaled most cars were in the rockaways, Long Beach and Jersey shore where there are non deer. If it hit a deer it was in upstate NY no where near sandy flooding

Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Storm Surge that totaled most cars were in the rockaways, Long Beach and Jersey shore where there are non deer. If it hit a deer it was in upstate NY no where near sandy flooding
What? Don't people ever take their car outside their home neighborhood? Ever heard of a road trip??? Or a vacation???

Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

I bought a used car with 3k miles, owner died of a heart attack. Bought from estate

I bought a car with 5,900 miles. Rich guy had six cars, so he bought it new drove it a few months and got bored.

The best was my friend bought a used car with 11 miles. Idiot guy bought his wife a brand new convertible his wife dreamed of for her 50 birthday and surprised her. Turns out she cant drive a stick!!!

I also went to a car auction in Spring 2000 from Ford Leasing and the car auction rand by model year. I bought a used 1998 Mercury Sable Station wagon with 8k miles. When we inspected it only drivers seat looked like it was ever sat in and scratches in the trunk area and a dealer installed hand rail by drivers side. My buddy said looks like an elderly or handicapped person bought it new and could no longer drive, so a good car.

Anyhow after I bought it paperwork done I say lets see the last cars off the line. Down comes a few 2001 Fords, in particular a loaded Ford Explorer every option with like 100 miles. The 2001 models were not out yet. Turns out they were from the Auto Show.Ford registered them so they could legally back them off trucks in street into the auto shows. They were being sold as used as technically they were used. They went for around 7K off best price you could get n a new one.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What? Don't people ever take their car outside their home neighborhood? Ever heard of a road trip??? Or a vacation???

You are not from Long Island. The traffic getting off island is terrible and most folks fly on vacation. I drove my daughter to NJ last week to a concert a 35 mile trip. It took me 2.5 hours to get home stuck in Cross Bronx.

Also who would take a road trip two weeks after Sandy. Only folks driving around upstate NY a few weeks after Sandy lived up there.

Heck my last car was not even taking by insurance company till Thanksgiving weekend. Took like five of use to get thing out of my garage and onto street where it sat for one month.

All my cars by two weeks after Sandy the trunk lock,drivers lock and ignition rusted shut. My mercedes 450Sl in the garage that actually was completely underwater for around over he roof for five hours the tranny locked up, you could no longer steer and has water in the oil and entire exhaust system.

My BMW the mold was completely infested in interior and electric seats shorted out. A real sandy car never can be fixed.My BMW at height of storm surge was rocking back and forth, seats going up and down, trunk popped open and landed wedged by neighbors fence. My wife GMC full size truck did not lift but water hit the top of steering wheel

Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
The dealer's service guys looked at it and said it was normal rust from the region. I called a couple of mechanics in Brooklyn and they said it was normal to have some surface rust here and there inside of a vehicle at 8 years old. It was more of surface rust in areas rather than flaking off rust, so maybe it wasn't in water and just subject to age. I will have my mechanic look at it this week.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,701 times
I predict you will never be happy with this purchase!!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 03:03 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
The CA dealer website description for the dealer group vehicle says "no visible rust."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary