Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 AM

7 posts, read 9,327 times

Advertisements

I am a recent graduate in New York, looking to move to the Raleigh/Durham area. I have my BS in Healthcare Administration and will be persuing my Master's once I am settled into a position. I have been applying like crazy to Duke, UNC and WakeMed but with no luck thus far. My applications at Duke have gone nowhere in th last month and Im wondering if they are writing me off because I'm out of state? I have read on other forums people saying they got called just days after applying and the jobs I have been applying for I know I am qualified for so I'm not sure where to go from here. I know some employers worry about relocation and interviewing expenses but I not looking for any of that and I am willing to fly out for interviews at their convenience. Again, with no one to even speak to it is hard to get those points across. Does anyone have any suggestions or are there recruiters I can call for non-clinical positions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan13 View Post
I am a recent graduate in New York, looking to move to the Raleigh/Durham area. I have my BS in Healthcare Administration and will be persuing my Master's once I am settled into a position. I have been applying like crazy to Duke, UNC and WakeMed but with no luck thus far. My applications at Duke have gone nowhere in th last month and Im wondering if they are writing me off because I'm out of state? I have read on other forums people saying they got called just days after applying and the jobs I have been applying for I know I am qualified for so I'm not sure where to go from here. I know some employers worry about relocation and interviewing expenses but I not looking for any of that and I am willing to fly out for interviews at their convenience. Again, with no one to even speak to it is hard to get those points across. Does anyone have any suggestions or are there recruiters I can call for non-clinical positions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Cast a wider net? Does it HAVE to be the Triangle area?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 AM

40 posts, read 43,393 times
Not to get your hopes up but my wife applied to a position at UNC and it took them almost a year before they brought her in for an interview (she got the job btw). If a closing date for the position is listed I would follow up about a week afterwards. It is possible that the out of state thing could be hurting you. My company has been looking at filling a position and we are wary of hiring someone from out of state especially if they are very/overqualified. The reason is that we sometimes think that they just plan to use the position as a springboard to something else. Good Luck!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Another possibility is that they have plenty of experienced candidates to choose from. This is a hot relocation spot. You said you were a recent graduate. Perhaps you should cast a wider net (unless you must move here because you have family here or some such) or you could stay in NY and get some experience before trying to get a job here?

You could go to school cheaper there due to the in-state vs. out-of-state tuition situation, could you not?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Hmmmmm.... 2 rather large community colleges with that program, plus at least 3 senior institutions - yes, it must be because you're from out-of-state. Sheesh! Get certified, experience, and then a Master's.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
First off, getting your foot in the door at a large hospital can be tough and I think for most healthcare administration positions in hospitals they want a Masters if you are not clinical.

Second, it is tougher to get in down here from out of state. There is a lot of competition for the jobs that are available. You mentioned that you read on other forums people saying that they got jobs within days here, hospitals do not work that way. Particularly the ones you are applying to, the are bureaucratic monsters and take weeks if not months to complete the process, I would take what you read with a grain of salt.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
We are hiring a Duke position right now. The position has been posted for about a month, and we haven't even interviewed anyone yet. It just takes a long time for us to hire someone. There is a lot of red tape. We did get a big pile of resumes, but most of them are not appropriate for what we are looking for. There are a lot of people who are way over-qualified, and people who just don't have a background in the correct field. I picked out the top 5 from the pile, and we started calling them. One already found a job. One is interested, but only wants part-time work, so that's a no-go. And the other 3 are out-of-state. One guy says he will arrrange to fly down for an interview, but it's going to take him 2 weeks to arrange it and get here, so now we're waiting on that. We do look askance at the out-of-staters. We don't know how serious they really are about moving here, especially if they are coming from the northeast where they may be used to a higher salary. It's certainly simpler to find someone local.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 AM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
We are hiring a Duke position right now. The position has been posted for about a month, and we haven't even interviewed anyone yet. It just takes a long time for us to hire someone. There is a lot of red tape. We did get a big pile of resumes, but most of them are not appropriate for what we are looking for. There are a lot of people who are way over-qualified, and people who just don't have a background in the correct field. I picked out the top 5 from the pile, and we started calling them. One already found a job. One is interested, but only wants part-time work, so that's a no-go. And the other 3 are out-of-state. One guy says he will arrrange to fly down for an interview, but it's going to take him 2 weeks to arrange it and get here, so now we're waiting on that. We do look askance at the out-of-staters. We don't know how serious they really are about moving here, especially if they are coming from the northeast where they may be used to a higher salary. It's certainly simpler to find someone local.
I PMed you.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM

203 posts, read 327,645 times
You might want to try using an NC address (a friend, family member, etc.) and see if that helps. I work at UNC and have a co-worker who experienced the same cold shoulder while applying from out-of-state. As soon as she used a friend's NC address her phone started ringing off the hook and she got a job pretty quickly. The impression I get around here is that they don't want to deal with the cost of trying to hire an out-of-state employee.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 AM

7 posts, read 9,327 times
Ok so to the person who said the communit college thing...that is and associate's degree which is two years less than a Bachelor's. I am one year away from my Master's and have internship experience at one of US News an World Report's top Children's Hospital under a Director. In addition I have 4 years Project Managment experience and 2 years Administrative experience (just not in a hospital). I could easily get a job in NY but we are looking for warmer weather and I didnt really think itd be so difficult just to get a call on my application. Again, I am willing to fly out as soon as they want me. I did think about the address thing but I dont want to lie since all my job experience is in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary