Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 PM

46 posts, read 599,419 times

Advertisements

After moving to Raleigh and living there for some time. What were the things you wished you knew before you moved? What shocked you the most about the area? And knowing what you know now would you still have moved to Raleigh. And if not why? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 04:22 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,125,849 times
The biggest issue that I didn't consider would be my ability to switch jobs. My options are significant less in Raleigh in my field (banking.) I was (pleasantly) shocked at the number of parks/greenways, the meetups and other clubs available to meet people, and the road infrastructure.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,081,455 times
My husband has a banking background and that's one of the reasons we think we are more likely to wind up in Charlotte, though we do like Raleigh a bit better.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,382,918 times
I don't really know Raleigh, but I live in Chapel Hill and one thing I was not prepared for and do not like is the amount of crime in this area. Just this morning we woke up to discover that our minivan had been broken into. We live in a subdivision about half a mile from a major road so I am surprised that a thief came this far into the subdivision. Or it could be someone local but that doesn't bear thinking about. I don't feel as safe here as I did in my little town in MA.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 PM

5,739 posts, read 17,584,185 times
I was able to find a job that I like with a good company, but my wife has not been so lucky. She is an occupational therapist, and it seems that this field is limited to a much narrower scope here in NC than it was in TX. The only jobs that are available are working in nursing homes, or traveling from place to place. The only way that you can break into what my wife did in TX is to become a certified hand therapist, which requires going back to school.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,081,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
I don't really know Raleigh, but I live in Chapel Hill and one thing I was not prepared for and do not like is the amount of crime in this area. Just this morning we woke up to discover that our minivan had been broken into. We live in a subdivision about half a mile from a major road so I am surprised that a thief came this far into the subdivision. Or it could be someone local but that doesn't bear thinking about. I don't feel as safe here as I did in my little town in MA.
That's one of the things I worry about JDatlas. No one ever even locks their doors around my town in MA.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,659,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
That's one of the things I worry about JDatlas. No one ever even locks their doors around my town in MA.
I seldom lock my door unless I am leaving for the day....I always did when I lived in a small town in MA 20 years ago.

Chapel Hill, is not a small town however. I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:05 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,154,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I seldom lock my door unless I am leaving for the day....
no offense meant, but people who have that mentality always seem to be the most shocked when they're the victim of a crime. common sense says lock your house and have an alarm system in place if you think it'll help. lock your car, and have one with a car alarm (most new cars). even small towns have bored kids looking for something to do...

Old 12-24-2007, 10:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,659,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
no offense meant, but people who have that mentality always seem to be the most shocked when they're the victim of a crime. common sense says lock your house and have an alarm system in place if you think it'll help. lock your car, and have one with a car alarm (most new cars). even small towns have bored kids looking for something to do...
If my home gets broken into when I leave it unlocked...it's my own fault.....but honestly....we just don't have waves of burglaries.....I take a bigger risk driving down the street then leaving the door unlocked.

That being said, I don't leave my car unlocked at night...it's too easy a target at that point.

What I am basically saying is that NC is no less safe then a MA....to be honest, I feel safer down here then I ever did when I moved to MA.....but then again, I don't live in a college town (such as Chapel Hill)......common sense tells you that is going to make for a higher property crime rate there.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:34 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,382,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
. lock your car, and have one with a car alarm (most new cars). even small towns have bored kids looking for something to do...
My minivan was locked and has an alarm system and was parked close to a street lamp but that didn't stop some punk from smashing the window and breaking into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary