Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 AM
MOD

95 posts, read 151,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
on the lower end, FHA underwriting will already catch a lot of the flipping.
I'd like to ask for some more details on this, as that hasn't been what I've seen. In fact, one could argue that the FHA is inadvertently supporting the flippers. A shady flipper's favorite loan is the FHA 203k, which due to it's now - onerous long term insurance requirements means it's no longer an option for an owner-occupant looking for a reasonable single closing rehab loan. Completely unintentionally, it's now a loan designed for flippers who won't be holding the house all that long.

Quote:
if the Buyer has their own independent agent, and as importantly inspection, then the lack of proper permit process (cause you have to not only file for but get an approval on) will show up quickly.
If that's the case, I'm not sure how all these terrible flips keep selling so easily. People know but just don't care?

And I'm not sure if you were hinting that a home inspection is enough to make sure things are OK, but city/county inspections are a whole different ballgame than a home inspection. There's a lot that just can't be seen once the drywall goes up and the shingles go down.

Quote:
I generally disagree that flipping in our market is or has been for 20 years a big issue.
From what I've seen, shady flips started to be notably common in the run up to the bubble and again now that things are mostly back. So about 10 years. And I think we have some time before the full gamut of problems show up from things that have been done more recently.

Quote:
There are certainly a very few small areas throughout the Triangle where a savvy contractor can buy at 50-60% on the $, put in 10-30% on the $, and sell the home thus at a profit after all is said and done of 30-5% of the final price.
From what I have seen/heard in neighborhoods around downtown Durham, that's approximately the average math for someone who gets permits, does things adequately, and hires professional subs in one of the upcoming or semi-established neighborhoods BCR mentioned. The guys who are hiring day laborers to do just about everything, avoiding permits, and getting their appliances off Craigslist are, of course, more profitable, and much more common. Cleveland Holloway is fast becoming a wreck of horrible work sold at shockingly high prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:02 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Intentionally or not, you've affirmed everything I've said.

For example, from my understanding of the rules, a person is going to have a very hard time getting a 2nd FHA 203K loan within a short period (must prove a hardship/valid reason to be moving), and thus should be impossible to get a 3rd one.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:15 AM

99 posts, read 181,798 times
the fact that investors are "flipping" homes for profit in this market is 4 year old news. The RDU market in general is screaming for turn key move in ready homes. That is why when they hit the market some smart knowledgeable home buyers viewing homes online are making offers before they "physically" see the property.

Ask any buyer that went to place an offer on a home only to find out there were 4 other offers already on the table.

Last edited by superhero; 08-30-2014 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
the fact that investors are "flipping" homes for profit in this market is 4 year old news. The RDU market in general is screaming for turn key move in ready homes. That is why when they hit the market some smart knowledgeable home buyers viewing homes online are making offers before they "physically" see the property.

Ask any buyer that went to place an offer on a home only to find out there were 4 other offers already on the table.
That has certainly been our friends' experience. They've made full price offers on several homes the first time they've seen them only to have other, higher offers already in place.

They've seen one home come back on the market. From what they could tell, the bank appraisal didn't support the contract price and the sellers didn't want to budge.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 PM

451 posts, read 1,156,954 times
ITB is quite a hot market at the moment. Inventory is low and good houses are going very quickly. I had heard that a lot of the movement goes on behind the scenes but never really believed it. That is until we moved into our current neighborhood. Many houses are sold before hitting the open market. Just as an example we got an email from a neighbor who send it out to the neighborhood listserv about selling their home. Within six hours or so we watched the cars all creeping by checking it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary