Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM

528 posts, read 935,342 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I was driving from the West Lake school area down Johnson Pond Rd over to Ten-Ten. I was following a school bus who put on their flashing lights and crossing arm to let 5 kids cross the street. Just about the time the bus came to its full stop and the kids started to exit, I began to hear police sirens approaching. Next, I heard the bus driver begin honking rapidly and saw the kids starting racing to clear the road before the police came through - and young kids too. Very shortly after the last kid got across (not immediate, but much too close for comfort given the vantage point on that road (for the police) was sufficient that they could easily see the bus in the horizon and could have significantly slowed their approach), then the police cars came racing past (fast and quite close) to the bus and my car just behind.

Having lived "in the county" for a few years, I'm amazed how often I encounter the Sheriff cars traveling at a high rate of speed w/ what seems a disregard for safety. In the time I've lived here, there have been at least a couple of fatalities (Sheriff vs civilian) for accidents which I believe were said to be related to speed. Just a month ago, a Sheriff car was traveling toward my direction on Ten-Ten (sirens on) and very nearly came into my lane (head on) as they passed.

I check the news after the fact to see if some some major crime was thwarted to justify such use of speed on single lane county roads but have yet to find that evidence. I can't ever recall experiencing this w/in the city limits (police pursuits, yes, but not with such speed).

I'm curious if anyone has had similar encounters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Read the news. It happens all over NC. You read over and over how a trooper or sheriff crashes into innocent people and they usually end up dead but the police officer is let off because thats the way it is here.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Read the news. It happens all over NC. You read over and over how a trooper or sheriff crashes into innocent people and they usually end up dead but the police officer is let off because thats the way it is here.
From my experience, chase policies for State Police or County Sheriff Offices are often much more liberal than for city/town Police departments. Of course that's not always the case and it varies, but it's pretty much been my experience. There are some departments where chases are not authorized except for the most life threatening situations in which many variables need to be met.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I check the news after the fact to see if some some major crime was thwarted to justify such use of speed on single lane county roads but have yet to find that evidence.
Once they all start encrypting the radio transmissions, there will be even less opportunity to monitor their activities. I loved how in a recent N&O article they said that preventing the public from listening in was not a factor in doing this.

I am a big supporter of the police and always give them the benefit of the doubt. It is a high stress job and always easy for Monday Morning QBs, but when they abuse the position, I want to see them held accountable. Same for DAs that just want to prosecute vs finding out the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary