Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Hardiplank can break/crack if a high wind slams an object up against it or if it is otherwise abused, but I have never heard anyone say (nor have I ever seen photo or video evidence) that it can deteriorate. I assume we are talking about deterioration from simple weather conditions and not high wind damage, etc.

Do you have any links for evidence that backs this idea up? Usually if something like that is happening even to a small percentage of customers, you'll find you tube links people have uploaded without even trying to search long and hard for them.

I have seen videos regarding some instances of factory painted siding not holding its paint, but that's deterioration of the paint finish and not the siding itself.
Testing was done by myself a few years back (I'm and engineer and general contractor). Hardie Plank was put in direct contact with the earth. Within 3 years it literally fell apart. Hardboard would not have lasted 6 months under the same circumstances. In any event, I often see siding that is in direct contact with mulch/earth. It can and will deteriorate over time! Properly installed (there are some installation specifics that often get missed) and painted, Hardi is a great product.

There are a few problems with vinyl siding that crop up on a regular basis. Reflections that warp/melt the siding-see it every week. Improper flashing, Not allowing for expansion/contraction, coming off the house during high wind events and number 1, no protective house wrap underneath-this was common in older installations before it was required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Hmm, not sure I agree that masonite is better than vinyl. My parents have vinyl siding on their house for close to 35 years. Never had a single problem, no need to seal it, caulk, nothing. it is maintenance free. Just power wash once or 2x a year.

Durability...yes. I think it looks cheap as compared to other sidings, though.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM

304 posts, read 369,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Testing was done by myself a few years back (I'm and engineer and general contractor). Hardie Plank was put in direct contact with the earth. Within 3 years it literally fell apart. Hardboard would not have lasted 6 months under the same circumstances. In any event, I often see siding that is in direct contact with mulch/earth. It can and will deteriorate over time! Properly installed (there are some installation specifics that often get missed) and painted, Hardi is a great product.
I misunderstood your original claim when you said it would deteriorate under adverse conditions.

The James Hardie warranty itself is void if the product is installed closer than 6" to the ground. Leaving it directly on the ground through 3 years of weather would be an extreme and unrealistic test to put the product through, way more than just an adverse condition. If an installer ever installs it such that it touches the earth he should be sued.

So, while I think the case you witnessed was interesting, I don't think deterioration is something a homeowner realistically needs to worry about with fiber cement siding.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I misunderstood your original claim when you said it would deteriorate under adverse conditions.

The James Hardie warranty itself is void if the product is installed closer than 6" to the ground. Leaving it directly on the ground through 3 years of weather would be an extreme and unrealistic test to put the product through, way more than just an adverse condition. If an installer ever installs it such that it touches the earth he should be sued.

So, while I think the case you witnessed was interesting, I don't think deterioration is something a homeowner realistically needs to worry about with fiber cement siding.
There are other installation errors that can expose fibercement siding to deterioration.
Mishandling of the planks can initiate delamination, opening the board to moisture.
Poor painting practices, improper prep, not painting the bottom edge of the board can allow moisture to weep up into the delaminated board.
Failure to seal cut edges, particularly on areas where the boards come near the roof, such as rakes and sides of dormers can expose the board to damage.

Home inspectors are starting to see failures linked to poor installation.

Partially resided homes without a housewrap or flashings at the joints are common.
A buyer should be very alert when a listing indicates "fibercement, hardboard" as the exterior treatment.
A home with a few hardboard pieces replaced with fibercement is not a huge concern.
When a homeowner has an entire side replaced, and doesn't wrap the house, flash the butt joints or windows, or face nail the siding to seal it from water, the home is prone to moisture intrusion.

Blanket statements about any siding product quality must be qualified to include poor practices in the field.
My vinyl is better installed than a whole lot of fibercement or hardboard out there, and it was a retrofit.
It is a high end vinyl, unlike the cheapo-cheapo most low end builders use, and will serve a very long time with a good appearance and minimal maintenance.
Brick is OK, when it is on a good foundation and tied to the structure.
When poorly done it is an extremely expensive siding to repair, and typically with poor results.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 AM

304 posts, read 369,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Blanket statements about any siding product quality must be qualified to include poor practices in the field.
This is true of any building material, not just siding. Concrete can deteriorate if poorly mixed, etc. No matter how good the material, a good product badly installed is as bad or worse than a bad product properly installed.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:

Yes the test was extreme, however keep in mind I see fiber cement siding in direct contact with the earth and mulch (which holds moisture against it) on a regular basis. It WILL deteriorate. You are correct about the 6" standard. However, if you look around you will see that fiber cement siding in direct contact with the earth is fairly common and often the cause is the landscapers-not the installer. As a contractor I see poor installations on a regular basis with many of the defects that Mike pointed out. The other day I sat and watched some new construction in Morrisville where no house wrap was installed under the fiber cement. Even though I had nothing to do with the structure I told the supervisor on site. I'd be willing to bet nothing was done! Love those tract builders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary