Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times

Advertisements

We have just moved from England and are buying a new house which we will move into at the end of September. I was wondering if there are plants down here that flower in the late fall early winter because of the relatively warm temperatures?

I was just thinking of some pots of flowers or plants to bring colour to deck/patio

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Mums, fall flowering azaleas to name a few.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Yes, it's about time to plant mums!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Ornamental cabbage.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions for avid gardeners-ornamental-kale.jpg  

Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Southernliving.com (the magazine)

go to one of the locally-owned garden centers and ask them for their professional and knowledgeable advice.

there are plants that bloom or otherwise have great color throughout the year here.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:05 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,049 times
You can call or email the master gardeners in the area for free. My mom is one and is forever on phone and email duty

Extension Master Gardeners

Old 08-31-2014, 03:33 AM

250 posts, read 694,327 times
I love growing pansies and their relatives, the violas and panolas, in Raleigh. I grow them from the time the bedding plants first appear in our local nurseries, Sept - Oct, until the weather becomes too hot for them, around late June or so. They bloom beautifully for me all winter long, although a couple of hard freezes have caused some of my pansies to briefly pause in flowering and growing. You're arriving at the perfect time to get in on the best selection and the most vigorous starter plants.

It’s pretty well established that the pansies and their relatives will grow here during winter with sufficient direct sunlight, but I also wanted to hear about the experience of others in this area when growing pansies in the shade during winter. Below is a link to the thread where I asked about this. There’s a nice discussion of how much direct sunlight pansies need in this area. Someone who is just starting out to grow them here will likely find the comment by tompope to be especially helpful.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ng-winter.html

I do want to mention the very happy surprise that I’m finding: some of the newer pansy varieties will tolerate heat much better and are lasting much longer than the older ones. This year my panolas lasted into July and would have lasted longer if I had begun pruning them in March or so. I only dug them up because they had blooms only on the tips and the plant centers looked messy - the blooms were still gorgeous. If I had pruned them earlier, I think I could have maintained an attractive plant shape with lots of blooms for a much longer time. This season I plan to try this.

BTW, I grow my pansies in large pots, about 14" - 16" diameter across the top. If a hard freeze is predicted, I sometimes cover them with old sheets overnight and remove the sheets early in the morning.

Last edited by hmrd; 08-31-2014 at 04:01 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
I also like Sedum "Autumn Joy".

Old 08-31-2014, 06:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I also like Sedum "Autumn Joy".
I LOVE sedum "Autumn Joy", I am so happy with the ones I planted.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
Fall is also the best time to plant trees and shrubs in North Carolina, since the roots will still grow all winter long even if the leaves are gone. A little superphosphate in the planting hole is all you'll need the first year, although keeping evergreens watered is a must lest they dry out. Come spring, your plants will have had an entire growing season to get their roots under them without having to battle the heat of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary