Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 AM

124 posts, read 129,796 times

Advertisements

Hello! Just doing some research on cost of living in different areas of NC

How realistic would it be to rent a one bedroom apartment for around $600/month in the Raleigh area?

Main priorities: safety, (safe neighborhood) does not have to be IN the city per say.

Does any one have any specific apartment recommendations for that budget? If not, any other areas that are more realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb13 View Post
Hello! Just doing some research on cost of living in different areas of NC

How realistic would it be to rent a one bedroom apartment for around $600/month in the Raleigh area?

Main priorities: safety, (safe neighborhood) does not have to be IN the city per say.

Does any one have any specific apartment recommendations for that budget? If not, any other areas that are more realistic?
I think you would find it almost impossible to find a 1 br or studio apartment at that price in a safe neighborhood in a city or suburban area.

You may be able to find that in a more rural area, although based on your other posts, if you're looking to be close to a Jewish community, you will find that more in cities like Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary than in more rural areas.

One option that gets closer to your price range would be to look at garage-apartments or in-law suites instead of apartment complexes. My neighborhood in Durham (which has Beth El Synagogue in it) has a number of these, typically anywhere from 350-500 sq ft, often over someone's garage or in a basement or detached structure. I typically see rents running from the mid-$700s to $1,000 or so, but there are plenty on the lower end of those rates. These kind of situations are typically found in cities (where the zoning rules allow accessory dwelling units).

Outside of that, have you considered looking at roommate situations? That could certainly get you into an apartment or even a rented home, perhaps for less than that number.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I think you would find it almost impossible to find a 1 br or studio apartment at that price in a safe neighborhood in a city or suburban area.

You may be able to find that in a more rural area, although based on your other posts, if you're looking to be close to a Jewish community, you will find that more in cities like Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary than in more rural areas.

One option that gets closer to your price range would be to look at garage-apartments or in-law suites instead of apartment complexes. My neighborhood in Durham (which has Beth El Synagogue in it) has a number of these, typically anywhere from 350-500 sq ft, often over someone's garage or in a basement or detached structure. I typically see rents running from the mid-$700s to $1,000 or so, but there are plenty on the lower end of those rates. These kind of situations are typically found in cities (where the zoning rules allow accessory dwelling units).

Outside of that, have you considered looking at roommate situations? That could certainly get you into an apartment or even a rented home, perhaps for less than that number.

Thanks! figured it was unrealistic to find it for that price but thought I would ask anyway.

Well, to be honest, when I first started this thread I truly didn't know what I wanted or what was realistic. I was really starting from scratch and just wanted some input based on hearsay... after tons of research I have decided although it would be wonderful to be close to a jewish community, it is not a priority for me anymore. I much rather be in a safe neighborhood with affordable rent than be in a jewish community.

Also, after research upon research, I have decided I wanted to be within a 30/45 minute commute to a major airport. Being that I am from NY I think it would make more sense for me incase I need to fly home or family/friends come to visit.

I am definitely up for a roommate!! In fact, a friend of mine from NY is in the same situation I am in so we definitely have considered moving down together... this would require us to both get jobs in the same area though, but it is always an option.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
There are a few on Craigslist in Carrboro. They may be a bit run-down, and typically rented to students.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:18 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
If you up your budget by $100/month, lots of options will open up, especially around $650.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
If the OP joins in with a roommate, all sorts of options will open up for nice two&two apartments for less than $600 each.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
[After] tons of research I have decided although it would be wonderful to be close to a jewish community, it is not a priority for me anymore. I much rather be in a safe neighborhood with affordable rent than be in a jewish community.

Also, after research upon research, I have decided I wanted to be within a 30/45 minute commute to a major airport. Being that I am from NY I think it would make more sense for me incase I need to fly home or family/friends come to visit.

I am definitely up for a roommate!! In fact, a friend of mine from NY is in the same situation I am in so we definitely have considered moving down together... this would require us to both get jobs in the same area though, but it is always an option.

Thanks for your help!
Hi LB,

Understood in re prioritization. Realistically, although being the relaxation of the first condition would make a range of non-urban areas more likely options, the latter (30-45 minutes from an airport) probably means you'll stay in the heart of the Triangle anyway.

I would continue to look at the four core cities (Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary) which all meet the airport distance goal. I also suspect you're going to find more flexible housing options -- plus, many more rental units of all stripes -- than you will in more distant suburban areas like Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, or Clayton, which are heavier on homeownership.

All the core cities in the Triangle are between ~100,000 and 400,000 people, so these are relatively low-density, accessible cities. I think you'd also find more to do in re entertainment, dining and activities particularly as a younger resident.

Having a roommate, as others are also noting, will make affording the opportunity much easier.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If you up your budget by $100/month, lots of options will open up, especially around $650.
Unfortunately, I think $100 more might be pushing it... of course it will obviously depend on my set salary and how much is taken out from taxes..in addition to possible incentives that may come up for teachers.

I think $650 might be my limit as a general research criteria, however it would depend on what amenities were included versus another apartment... lots of comparing.

This isnt in raleigh, so I understand its different...but a friend of mine is renting in Sanford for about $650 a month. She said when she was looking up apartments this was one of the more expensive ones in the area that she looked, but cable/internet were included so it made more sense for her to go a little more expensive.

I realize there are so many things that play into the actual price/affordability. Right now I am just researching my options so if the time comes and I do decide to relocate I will know where and what to focus on. I'm literally coming from no knowledge at all of NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If the OP joins in with a roommate, all sorts of options will open up for nice two&two apartments for less than $600 each.

Yes a roommate is definitely something I am willing to do. I have seen some 2 bedrooms in a price range that would be much less than $600 each if it were split. Besides, everything would drop in half generally (cost of food, utilities, furniture, extras etc.) So it is definitely something I would do if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Hi LB,

Understood in re prioritization. Realistically, although being the relaxation of the first condition would make a range of non-urban areas more likely options, the latter (30-45 minutes from an airport) probably means you'll stay in the heart of the Triangle anyway.

I would continue to look at the four core cities (Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary) which all meet the airport distance goal. I also suspect you're going to find more flexible housing options -- plus, many more rental units of all stripes -- than you will in more distant suburban areas like Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, or Clayton, which are heavier on homeownership.

All the core cities in the Triangle are between ~100,000 and 400,000 people, so these are relatively low-density, accessible cities. I think you'd also find more to do in re entertainment, dining and activities particularly as a younger resident.

Having a roommate, as others are also noting, will make affording the opportunity much easier.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input! Going to keep researching and see what i can find

Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Also, if you can find something really close to work, close enough to walk, you can cut a ton of vehicle expenses as well. I undertand that can be difficult, but I have a friend who did it and loves it.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Also, if you can find something really close to work, close enough to walk, you can cut a ton of vehicle expenses as well. I undertand that can be difficult, but I have a friend who did it and loves it.

Yes! Great tip!
Right now I am lucky and work less than a mile away from my job! I bike there in the summer! A great gas saver. My first step is probably going to be to find a job, then I am going to try to find the closest/most affordable/safest apartment possible. Hopefully it will all work out.

Right now I am just trying to get a general idea of location so that I know where to apply/ where not to apply. I would hate to just apply to random schools without doing any research and then finding out either A. I cannot afford to rent in the area on my salary.... or B. the closest safe neighborhood is extremely far. I mean obviously I wouldnt mind a 30 minute (give or take) commute not a big deal at all..... but I think more than that might be pushing it.

Basically I just need to keep researching lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary