Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times

Advertisements

Not too late for warm season grass but getting close.
3150 SF of TifGrand Bermuda went down in my backyard today. Wish it rained tonight like it did last night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
After three unsuccessful tries at seeding fescue, I finally had Vandemark Farms bring me a couple pallets of Zoysia, which covered about 900 of my 1000-square-foot yard. Except for the areas in the shade, it's looking great after three months. When brown lines appeared, one of their reps came out and told me the sod had dried out on the edges while waiting to be laid, and that it would fill in. Sure enough, that's what it's doing. Some friends of mine and I laid it ourselves; took a couple of hours.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 AM

100 posts, read 110,720 times
Default a few more questions :-)

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions. Fescue is definitely too high maintenance for me, so it might be wise to plant annual rye grass now & then install a warm season grass as sod in the spring. (Thanks for the idea, BullCity75!) If I'm going to spend money on sod, I want to install it when I have the best chance of success.

I did a quick Google search & it sounds like I won't need to amend & till the soil prior to putting down the rye seed. Is that correct? Can I buy seed at a local hardware store or garden center or do I need to order it from a place that specializes in grass seed?

I'm excited about the prospect of having something other than dirt and wood mulch in my back yard!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturna5 View Post
Can I buy seed at a local hardware store or garden center or do I need to order it from a place that specializes in grass seed?
I believe I have seen rye grass seed at the Lowes garden centers.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 PM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
I have used New Vision Landscaping and Lawn Care for our lawn maintenance and aeration. I have received many compliments on our lawn and neighbors have used them also and have been pleased. Their prices are very reasonable and they back the work that they have done. They offer free estimates and are licensed and insured. They can be reached at 919-527-4806.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:11 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturna5 View Post
Thank you very much for all of your suggestions. Fescue is definitely too high maintenance for me, so it might be wise to plant annual rye grass now & then install a warm season grass as sod in the spring. (Thanks for the idea, BullCity75!) If I'm going to spend money on sod, I want to install it when I have the best chance of success.

I did a quick Google search & it sounds like I won't need to amend & till the soil prior to putting down the rye seed. Is that correct? Can I buy seed at a local hardware store or garden center or do I need to order it from a place that specializes in grass seed?

I'm excited about the prospect of having something other than dirt and wood mulch in my back yard!
Yea, Rye will grow pretty much anywhere, so just spread the seeds and keep it moist. I believe you can buy it at the big box stores and most any hardware store. Lowe's has a 3lb bag (750 sq ft) for $7.48.

Another option would be temporarily seeding Fescue. That would give you the option of waiting a year or two if you want. You'll just need to roundup it a few weeks before you plant the warm season grass. The amount of fesuce seed you'd need would run about $25.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:30 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Just understand annual rye looks horrible. If anything plant perennial rye, it looks quite good and grows just as well.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 PM

100 posts, read 110,720 times
Thank you!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 AM

386 posts, read 436,622 times
How much sf does one pallet of sod cover?

I have one bad area of fescue in my yard that i want to replace, and although i haven't yet measured, I'd have to think it is less than 300 sf total.

(can't do seed in this area, need to sod)

Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
How much sf does one pallet of sod cover?

I have one bad area of fescue in my yard that i want to replace, and although i haven't yet measured, I'd have to think it is less than 300 sf total.

(can't do seed in this area, need to sod)
IIRC it's 400 sq ft but check with SuperSod to make sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary