Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am getting a little frustrated in finding a "buyer" for our home in Willow Spring (Johnston county) we are on our second Realtor, and though realtors are sometimes overly optimistic, we still have had no offers, but many showings, I know it's always about LOCATION, ( I believe this is our only negative ) but we are one of the lowest priced homes in our sub-division for sale, feedback is always positive, but still no offers...
My question is does anyone know of a really good realtor in the 40/42 (27592) area ? If so can you please private message me? We would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance !

Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
haven't we had this discussion a couple of months ago?

condition/style

those are the 3 factors. there are no others. the one in the middle can overcome the other 2. either of the other 2 rarely overcome the one in the middle

Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
my apologies, it was a different poster in the SE Wake vicinity that had a lengthy "why won't my house sell" thread.

still, my points are the same - if you've had a lot of showings, then it can only be one of those things. If you don't know, ask your Realtor how long you should expect it to take to sell.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
haven't we had this discussion a couple of months ago?

condition/style

those are the 3 factors. there are no others. the one in the middle can overcome the other 2. either of the other 2 rarely overcome the one in the middle
Actually there can be a lot of other factors, although one could probably get creative and link them all to those 3 if they tried.

For example, the overall market and economy can affect days on market (or prevent a sale, or result in fast sale) even if location is ideal, price is right, condition is pristine and style is desirable. One could say that price could be adjusted low enough that some investor or flipper looking to take advantage of the situation might move on it, but I don't think that counts. Even if those three factors are "right", having a nearby neighbor with a weird looking house or lots of junk cars parked in their yard could make it hard to sell. One might say "well those are a factor of LOCATION, its located next to a bum house" or "well that's a factor of CONDITION, because the condition of the surroundings is less than ideal" (that's what I meant about creatively linking it to those factors).

It is true however that price is the easiest factor to adjust/control, so often therein lies the answer

To the OP, I would first try to get feedback from your realtor regarding why it's not selling. Are buyers who are looking at your home buying other similarly priced homes in the area? Or, is what you're seeing typical of the price range in the Willow Springs area? The sales themselves are public record, a willing realtor can usually even match the names of the folks who have toured your property to folks who have recently bought homes in the area. The data is out there.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
All I have to say is that there seems to be an endless quantity of homes for sales with no style or horrendous style. To sellers: watch HGTV. Look for what buyers expect and make adjustments accordingly and within your budget.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:40 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Actually there can be a lot of other factors, although one could probably get creative and link them all to those 3 if they tried.

For example, the overall market and economy can affect days on market (or prevent a sale, or result in fast sale) even if location is ideal, price is right, condition is pristine and style is desirable. One could say that price could be adjusted low enough that some investor or flipper looking to take advantage of the situation might move on it, but I don't think that counts. Even if those three factors are "right", having a nearby neighbor with a weird looking house or lots of junk cars parked in their yard could make it hard to sell. One might say "well those are a factor of LOCATION, its located next to a bum house" or "well that's a factor of CONDITION, because the condition of the surroundings is less than ideal" (that's what I meant about creatively linking it to those factors).

It is true however that price is the easiest factor to adjust/control, so often therein lies the answer

To the OP, I would first try to get feedback from your realtor regarding why it's not selling. Are buyers who are looking at your home buying other similarly priced homes in the area? Or, is what you're seeing typical of the price range in the Willow Springs area? The sales themselves are public record, a willing realtor can usually even match the names of the folks who have toured your property to folks who have recently bought homes in the area. The data is out there.

Price is always a function of the overall market and economy. Always, without exception, on a local basis.
My exact house in Cary would be worth 10% more in Chapel Hill, and 25% less in a small NW PA town.
In those locations, price would mirror the overall local market and economy.

A house with a lot of showings and no offers has an issue with one of the three factors Bo mentions. Everything is a sub category function of those 3 factors.

With a lot of showings, the marketing is right. The public just does not see value equivalent near to the list price, reflecting on the location and condition.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 43,096 times
Homes have energy. If a home doesn't "feel" right, especially to a mom, it's going to take a whole lot to convince them to buy it. If a buyer can't see themselves moving in, they'll be moving on.

People will always find a way to justify the price, if the desire is there. We buy what we feel good about...

Old 09-03-2014, 07:49 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
The OP has been complaining about where he lives for about 100 years here on CD. My guess is location.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I will add that no, we don't know who the BUYERS are that view our listings, just the agents that showed it. And yes, when I hear the often common refrain "found another they liked better", the first thing I do is look to see if that agent sold something. And if so, then I frequently ask the agent "what did they like better?"
I never answer that question. Really.

I never do CMAs for listing agents in feedback.
I never guess the final sales price in feedback.
I never tell if the house is in the Top 3, Top 5.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The OP has been complaining about where he lives for about 100 years here on CD. My guess is location.
Very possible, as I mentioned I have no knowledge of the OP's posting history. It very well could be location, and if multiple realtors are telling him same, he should listen.

But, my point still stands that there can be root causes that don't neatly fall under the 3 that were presented, unless they are just creatively placed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary