Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Some of them also top the youth suicide rankings.

Japan comes to mind.
Yes. Also North and South Korea.

WHO calls for action to reduce global suicide rate of 800,000 a year | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
No completely false. It is a measure of how much time/work the student has put in. Malcolm Gladwell touches on this in his book Outliers. And yes the countries with the longer school years and more vigorous work requirements top the world rankings.
Huh? You're saying the same thing - it's more about measuring the student than the school. Did I miss something?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Huh? You're saying the same thing - it's more about measuring the student than the school. Did I miss something?

Take a student from a poor neighborhood and one from a wealthy neighborhood. If they both put in the time and work they'll both perform highly. The student from the poor area is not predisposed to having lower achievement. The deciding factor is doing the work not the affluence. It is what you said if you define 'the quality student population' by work ethic. credit to Malcolm Gladwell.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Quote:
Good question. The school day is already short. Early release seems redundant.

Efficiency. Interesting subject. Do you know that there is a ranking of school efficiency just like achievement ranking? Top 30 countries. I think we all know where the US ranks in achievement, yes?
We also rank very poorly in bang for the buck. Efficiency. So lets look at the countries that whip us in achievement and efficiency. What jumps out? Yes you guessed it, longer school years and days. Not Ipads and early release.

But all we get is 'we need more money'!!
First, teachers cannot participate in professional development while teaching students. Therefore, the students are released so that teachers can continue professional learning.

Second, do you have any idea what time air conditioning shuts off at a school? Obviously, the answer is no.

Third, you wrote a paragraph about what else is inefficient in schools without saying anything or providing any evidence that longer school days/years are more efficient.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Good question. The school day is already short. Early release seems redundant.

Efficiency. Interesting subject. Do you know that there is a ranking of school efficiency just like achievement ranking? Top 30 countries. I think we all know where the US ranks in achievement, yes?
We also rank very poorly in bang for the buck. Efficiency. So lets look at the countries that whip us in achievement and efficiency. What jumps out? Yes you guessed it, longer school years and days. Not Ipads and early release.
This would be an excellent topic for the General Board on Education, since it is not related to NC or this area. I don't deny that there are things I dispute about the way the USA goes about Education, but there's not much Wake county can do to change the USA.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
First, teachers cannot participate in professional development while teaching students. Therefore, the students are released so that teachers can continue professional learning.

Second, do you have any idea what time air conditioning shuts off at a school? Obviously, the answer is no.

Third, you wrote a paragraph about what else is inefficient in schools without saying anything or providing any evidence that longer school days/years are more efficient.

Professional development? They had all summer for that. I picked up my daughter today and saw her teacher in the Wake Forest Walmart 45 minutes later. Her teacher is actually superb.

The evidence for higher achievement due to longer school days and years has been published for years. Look back and you'll see where I give credit to a researcher and I name his book. Educate yourself. Turn off the TV and do some reading.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 PM

Teachers are not employed (paid) in the summer. I don't know about what you saw today, but WCPSS teachers had mandatory professional development this afternoon.

A discussion of a longer school day has nothing to do with inefficiency in WCPSS. It's an entirely different topic far from your original point in this thread.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
baloney!

my sister earned her 2nd Masters while teaching FT. There's this thing called night school.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
baloney!

my sister earned her 2nd Masters while teaching FT. There's this thing called night school.
Professional development and inservices are not offered at night on any reliable basis.

I, too, earned an MS at night while working FT.

I'm nearly done with a 2nd and starting a 3rd. I work FT.

I used to teach. It is difficult to do much of anything BUT teach. Especially if you are married with young kids.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
baloney!

Professional Development (in this case) means school system-provided experiences during paid work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary