Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:49 PM

396 posts, read 435,603 times

Advertisements

Hello! Just wondering how competitive it is to get a spot on the high school sports teams (soccer, baseball, cross cty) for a transfer student? Is it impossible? Are teams pretty much set starting freshmen year or do they hold tryouts each year? Varies according to school? Most interested in Green Hope, Apex High. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 01:06 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
If the athlete is talented enough, s/he can make the team regardless of transfer status. However, high school sports teams are very popular and the schools are very large (2,000+ students), so there is a large population to draw from. This makes securing a spot on a team a very competitive situation.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:12 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If the athlete is talented enough, s/he can make the team regardless of transfer status. However, high school sports teams are very popular and the schools are very large (2,000+ students), so there is a large population to draw from. This makes securing a spot on a team a very competitive situation.
Agree. And GHHS is probably the most competitive right now....State Champs in several sports and runners up or at least conference champs in quite a few others. But....there are transfers on many if not most of their teams. Cross country is pretty much "no-cut"....you'd have to be exceptionally slow or completely unmotivated/fooling around all the time to get cut from cross country (even at Green Hope which was boys' state champ last year).

Green Hope Athletics maintains a pretty active twitter feed you can follow along to see how the teams are doing.

Last edited by twingles; 10-06-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 03:15 PM

396 posts, read 435,603 times
Thank you for the info!

Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM

703 posts, read 780,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Hello! Just wondering how competitive it is to get a spot on the high school sports teams (soccer, baseball, cross cty) for a transfer student? Is it impossible? Are teams pretty much set starting freshmen year or do they hold tryouts each year? Varies according to school? Most interested in Green Hope, Apex High. Thanks for any info!
I can only speak to the baseball situation...

Green Hope baseball is very very good, and the varsity coach typically only keeps about 17 on his roster. Pretty much every starter on varsity plays competitive travel ball as well in the summers and fall. The JV team is limited to freshmen and sophomores, and is competitive as well, but a tad easier to make. Probably only about 60% of the JV players go on to make the varsity team though. Apex has been very competitive as well as of late. Apex Friendship a little less so, but that's starting to change as well.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:37 AM

116 posts, read 254,579 times
For baseball in particular get involved as early as possible. Tryouts can be a deceptive term. Neither Apex or GH will take a player who just comes to the official 3 day tryouts in February, unless that player is already well known. (Jordyn Adams was a GH transfer who played football in the fall, but he was a 5 star football recruit who got a 4 million dollar bonus to play pro baseball). The majority of players at those schools are single sport athletes who work out together in the fall, winter and before tryouts in spring. As noted above, most also play very competitive travel baseball and the coaches seem to know what teams kids play for. That said, transfers that help make a team better will have a chance to make the team. Just understand the level of play. GH has I think 4 kids already committed to nationally ranked programs. Apex best player is a division 1 commit who will probably get drafted. These are hard teams to make regardless how long you have lived here. Soccer probably similar. Cross country takes mostly everyone but not all kids run in all meets.

If I was moving into the area and sports were really important I might look to live in the new Green Level HS base. Same general area but new school so not as established athletically. But if you are moving in with an junior or senior Green Level might not be fielding varsity teams next year. Apex Friendship might also be an option but lots of good athletes ended up at Friendship also.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:01 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
I heard that for soccer at Green Hope it is also very competitive. About 200 kids trying out and only 20 making the team. Not sure what leagues they are playing for prior but I am sure it is more than just a rec league.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:14 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
To further add to what rf22777 wrote, baseball is a year round sport at the high school level. With few exceptions, a prospective player will need to attend as many of the off season activities as possible (and my son has been having workouts at his western wake county high school for several weeks already). I know players who were working out privately (Diamond fit or TPA) who were told they need to stop and come workout with the team.

In addition to travel ball, there is a summer league, where they play 3 evenings a week. These are sort of the minimum steps required to have a chance to make the team. I am convinced that by the time the 3 day tryout happens in February, they know who is going to be on the team. I'm also of the opinion that this year roundedness of baseball does NOT result in a better product on the field, still all kinds of mental mistakes in games.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I heard that for soccer at Green Hope it is also very competitive. About 200 kids trying out and only 20 making the team. Not sure what leagues they are playing for prior but I am sure it is more than just a rec league.
Nobody's making soccer here just playing rec league. Same with volleyball - most of the HS teams around here could be competitive with some college teams. Club volleyball starts the weekend after states and goes into June.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
T
In addition to travel ball, there is a summer league, where they play 3 evenings a week. These are sort of the minimum steps required to have a chance to make the team. I am convinced that by the time the 3 day tryout happens in February, they know who is going to be on the team. I'm also of the opinion that this year roundedness of baseball does NOT result in a better product on the field, still all kinds of mental mistakes in games.
You are correct about the tryouts, and I agree with you about the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary