U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 PM

42 posts, read 258,117 times

Advertisements

Our HVAC unit on our townhouse (3 levels and each level has it's own thermostat and appx 2200 sq FT) sprung a leak in one of the coils a couple of months ago. The guy who came out (can't remember the name rt now) put in 3lbs of freon and said it should hold for a few months as it was a slow leak. My question is, when the time comes, should we have the offending coil replaced or the whole unit? It's a Lennox that's appx 5 years old as the house was built in 2009. Would appreciate all opinions as well as suggestions for who/where to buy from and who to install.

Thanks!!

Last edited by icegirlncsu; 09-04-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,108,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegirlncsu View Post
It's a Lennox that's appx 5 years old ...
Dig out the paperwork and read about the warranty. It may be 5 years on parts.

I like Service Experts but other C-D contributors have criticized them.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,227,776 times
Quote:
Our HVAC unit on our townhouse (3 levels and each level has it's own thermostat and appx 2200 sq FT) sprung a leak in one of the coils a couple of months ago. The guy who came out (can't remember the name rt now) put in 3lbs of freon and said it should hold for a few months as it was a slow leak. My question is, when the time comes, should we have the offending coil replaced or the whole unit? It's a Lennox that's appx 5 years old as the house was built in 2009. Would appreciate all opinions as well as suggestions for who/where to buy from and who to install.

Thanks!!
The first thing I would do is find out if the coil is still covered under the manufacturer's warranty, but even if it is you might still have to pay labor and refrigerant charges to install the new coil. The manufacturer may also stipulate that an authorized Lennox dealer must do the warranty repair, but it's worth checking into none the less. Many on this forum have used Justin Woodleif but I can also recommend Robert's Heating and Air Conditioning. Robert is very honest and his prices are reasonable.

Roberts Heating & Air Conditioning Service, phone# 919-497-5720, Louisburg, NC, 27549

Old 09-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Unfortunately we do not have the paperwork as we just bought the house (we are first-time homeowners so please excuse the cluelessness last year.

So you think it would be better to repair/replace the coil rather than the whole system? Am thinking about getting quotes on both...

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,108,042 times
Quote:
Unfortunately we do not have the paperwork ...
Service Experts is affiliated with Lennox in some way. Find the model and serial number on your unit. Contact Service Experts, explain your situation, and ask them to determine the installation date and warranty coverage.

Favorite saying: Don't Ask, Don't Get.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 PM

I had no idea this could be done, I will definitely do that...thanks a bunch!

Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 AM

8,418 posts, read 12,186,517 times
Agree. Check the warranty status either with a service contractor or directly at the Lennox site (I think most let you do it).

If under warranty, it makes sense to do it. If its not and your unit takes R-22 and is a 13 SEER, it starts to be come a more difficult choice, IMO, due to the rising cost of R-22. 5-10 years on if you have any more leaks it will be astronomical to recharge the refrigerant.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 AM

3,126 posts, read 7,776,064 times
This is just my opinion so please take it for what it's worth, but I would have the coil replaced. I have a lennox system as well (only a year old) and it does have a 10 year warranty on parts. You'll still have to pay for labor and associated costs, but I'd rather pay $300-$400 than $5,000+ for a new unit. If your unit was 15 years old I might be inclined to recommend replacement, but you'll get plenty of good years out of this small fix and it's only going to cost you 5-10% max of what a new unit would run.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 AM

613 posts, read 679,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Agree. Check the warranty status either with a service contractor or directly at the Lennox site (I think most let you do it).

If under warranty, it makes sense to do it. If its not and your unit takes R-22 and is a 13 SEER, it starts to be come a more difficult choice, IMO, due to the rising cost of R-22. 5-10 years on if you have any more leaks it will be astronomical to recharge the refrigerant.

I just checked the price of R-22 and it was only a little more than R410. Plenty of it available.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,734,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
I just checked the price of R-22 and it was only a little more than R410. Plenty of it available.
My HVAC guy says the price of both has dropped over the last couple of years (I made a decision a few years ago to replace so I could have new refrigerant - but my equipment was out of warranty and >10 yrs old). Perhaps everyone swiiching to R410 has reduced demand for R22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary