Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,169 times

Advertisements

The amount of litter on the road-ways in North Carolina reflects poorly on the people living here. My belief is that because North Carolina has a high level of un-employment and poorly educated people, especially in the rural areas, that an attitude of "in-difference" is probably more evident here than in other areas of the country. Litter is a bi-product of the indifference. Go up north in the rural areas and you will not see anywhere near the litter that you see down here. The demographics in the northern rural areas up north is very different than in the south. It's ok to disagree with me if you do, it is only my point of view. It is what it is.

Cheers Everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
If you think the litter is bad here don't ever live in Asia. Couldn't believe the things I saw people throw out of their cars while living and traveling there. Once saw a guy dump a fridge on the side of the road like it was no big deal

Old 12-17-2011, 01:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Mike - you tossed out more garbage in that post that I've seen on any NC roadways.

This is a 4-year old thread that this newbie decided to re-open so he could toss out his biases and stereotypes. I suggest others ignore him.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
You tell him CHTransplant. Some folks just like to stir up the pot I guess.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 AM

21 posts, read 50,078 times
The litter situation is OUT OF CONTROL right now through Raleigh..I'm sad and angry.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:33 PM

420 posts, read 452,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadiaP View Post
Not this transplant! The litter here is GROSS!
Not this transplant either.

i think I am so used to the garbage everywhere in NYC that it still looks pristine down here.
hOwever , one of my first posts on this forum was the garbage thrown on the sides of 1-40.
It has now been three years and I drive 40 quite a bit from southern Wake up to Durham area and I think the problem has gotten worse. I still deem the area beautiful overall so the garbage upsets me. Funny how it doesn't upset me in NY because it's always been there. I too have been behind cars when people just throw their fast food bags out the window. Makes me ill.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
In NYC, there was a practice called "air mail".

The residents would simply throw their trash out the apt windows. Then they complained about rats.
Yes, my Mom lived on E 13th St Manhattan between Aves C and D. The rats had food feasts from the airmailed refuse.

A health dept officer called up to a building telling residents to stop airmail to reduce rats. He got hit with a poopy diaper.

Now, hipsters cough up 4 grand for a 1 BR in the East Village (where she lived) previously named Alphabet City.

As a sergeant from the 9th Pct once told me, "You can take the animals out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the animals".

Old 12-15-2015, 01:53 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Worked outside maintenance at a shopping mall in Michigan when they passed the deposit bottle and can laws. My job was to clean up the parking lots in the morning before the mall opened.

It was amazing: almost night and day. When the law went into effect, the parking lot was almost spotless, whereas days before it was an absolute mess. I guess it's psychological: people stopped throwing bottles and cans from their vehicles, so they tended to not throw other things out, too.

And when they had to "get rid of the evidence" (i.e. dispose of their beer bottles), they didn't smash them, but instead, put them outside their cars, neatly, in the package!

I think deposit bottle and can laws might be a good idea for North Carolina. I witnessed what an effect it had in Michigan.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:44 AM

341 posts, read 296,541 times
I've seen worse. I was driving through the desert north of flagstaff and you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a beer bottle on the side of the road.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:35 PM

61 posts, read 67,940 times
I realize that this is an older thread BUT what if each person did something instead of complaining and went out and Adopted A Highway via the NCDOT???? Wouldn't that be wonderful??

We are the inhabitants of this beautiful place and so it's up to each of us to take responsibility . . NOT politicians NOT inmates but YOU and ME!

Okay. Enough ranting!
Please do something. You'll feel so much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary