Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:16 PM

14 posts, read 29,763 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that there are train tracks in Cary that run along the northeast edge of Prestonwood Country Club into downtown Cary. How often do trains runs on these tracks - occasionally, or several times a day, or somewhere in between?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawski View Post
I've noticed that there are train tracks in Cary that run along the northeast edge of Prestonwood Country Club into downtown Cary. How often do trains runs on these tracks - occasionally, or several times a day, or somewhere in between?

Thanks for any info.
There are a couple of AmTracks and a few freights daily.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:48 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are a couple of AmTracks and a few freights daily.
And at least one of them is VERY early in the morning, including weekends, and it blows it's horn at each intersection. Believe me. . . I used to live at the intersection of NC 54 and Weston Pkwy in Morrisville.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:02 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
several times a day. There is an Amtrack at 7 am each morning and again in the opposite direction in the afternoon, and there are usually a few freighters ranging from one a day to 3 a day. I live about a mile from the tracks and they really don't bother me at all in the house.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:49 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
I live ~.5 miles from one of the tracks and do not have too much of a problem. On quiet nights you can hear the horn as it goes by intersections even in the house. I kind of like it but I am from Miami where street noise was 24/7 even in the suburbs.

There is a late night Amtrack at close to midnight a few nights a week. Then there is the morning one around 7 AM, as well as another one or two during the day. There are a few freight trains a day too, not too many late at night that I have seen.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 AM

37 posts, read 72,738 times
I really don't understand why these trains blow the horn so many times and for so long? It is really annoying. I live about .05 miles as well and the horn really bothers me. I feel very sorry for those people that live right there near the tracks...this is a daily thing - many times a day!

Kate

Old 03-12-2008, 04:41 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alketi View Post
I really don't understand why these trains blow the horn so many times and for so long? It is really annoying. I live about .05 miles as well and the horn really bothers me. I feel very sorry for those people that live right there near the tracks...this is a daily thing - many times a day!

Kate

Kate,

The horns are for safety, and are blown at every crossing to alert people that the train is approaching.
Despite horns and crossing gates, people get killed at train crossings every year.
Just last week a truck was hit at the crossing at Maynard Rd. and Chatham Street.
I live next to tracks and was awakened at 2:30 AM this morning by a train horn. I accept that since the train track was there before the property was developed, and before I bought the home.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Kate,

The horns are for safety, and are blown at every crossing to alert people that the train is approaching.
Despite horns and crossing gates, people get killed at train crossings every year.
Just last week a truck was hit at the crossing at Maynard Rd. and Chatham Street.
I live next to tracks and was awakened at 2:30 AM this morning by a train horn. I accept that since the train track was there before the property was developed, and before I bought the home.
Now, that's an intelligent attitude, Mike.

Some folks move next to a landfill and then gripe about the smell.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
We moved last summer from a house about 3/4 mile away from the tracks to a house about 3 blocks away from the tracks. There are 4 freight trains during the night, but not on Friday/Sat nights, thankfully.

What was a comforting noise in the distance (train horn) has became the bane of our existence in this house. The horn, the rumble of the big engine and the freight cars as they pass. We have gradually gotten used to it and the trains don't wake me anymore but (my own opinion), I will NEVER live closer than a mile to train tracks again!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Until this house, I lived close to major tracks since leaving for college in the 80s. Dorm (Sullivan at NCSU) was right next to the tracks. And my historic home in Downtown Apex was right across the street. That was the worst. The combination of old house and Amtrak was truly awful. The whole house would rattle when they'd go by. I'm amazed we never had pictures fall from the walls or pottery fall off the mantle. Never again.

Living in the flight path is a breeze after that. Never been woken once by a plane.

I assume the tracks the OP talks about are the same that run parallel to 54 and Church Street in Morrisville? I used to commute over those tracks daily to work and they are very busy. I'd get stopped by a train once a week on average. The Amtrak is very loud, but at least it was gone quickly. Some of the other trains are quite slow and go on forever, really causing traffic issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary