Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times

Advertisements

At least according to a recent survey by Business Insider, that is. Ranked all U.S. towns with a population of at least 1,000 on highest percentage of adults over 25 who have at least a bachelor's degree, it found that in Fearrington Village, 76 percent of residents over 25 have bachelor's degrees.

The most educated place in N.C. is in the Triangle - Triangle Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 07:51 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
While a place can't be educated, its people can Sorry, couldn't resist! Anyhow, I am not surprised as many retirees who live there were quite accomplished in their careers. This would include former diplomats, ex CIA, etc..

Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
based on a quick look it appears these "villages" are exclusive. for instance i am very familiar with chevy chase, md, the highest ranked in this list. probably less than 5 miles from white house.
Per Wikipedia:

"As with many suburban towns throughout the United States during the first half of the 20th century, Chevy Chase excluded individuals based on race and religion. Founder Francis G. Newlands was an "avowed racist"[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE] who in 1912 mounted his presidential campaign on a platform that called for a constitutional amendment to disenfranchise black men and limit immigration to whites only. Three years earlier, the Chevy Chase Land Company had brought suit against a developer who had begun to sell lots to black people in a planned subdivision called "Belmont" on the grounds that the developer had committed fraud by proposing "to sell lots...to negroes."[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE]
By the 1920s, exclusionary language had begun to appear in Chevy Chase real estate deeds. Some prohibited both the sale or rental of homes to "a Negro or one of the African race."[SIZE=2][5][/SIZE] Others prohibited sales or rentals to "any persons of the Semetic [sic] race."[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE] By World War II, such restrictive language had largely disappeared from real estate transactions, and all were voided by the 1948 Supreme Court decision in Shelley v. Kraemer.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 AM

413 posts, read 878,012 times
HI Blue Comet,
Fearrington is racially inclusive. I have a friend who retired there and the number
of retired university professors reminded me of a faculty conference instead of
a dinner meeting!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
That's a pretty weird ranking. Saying "Fearrington Village" is the most educated place is like saying "McGregor Downs" is or "Meadowmont" or "Southern Village" or "Brier Creek". "Fearrington Village" is a neighborhood, not a town or a village. Farrington, NC is a spot on the map/green sign on the road on Farrington Rd near Jordan Lake and I'd be surprised if there were a high percentage of advanced degree holders there.

I'm not surprised that there are a lot of degree holders in Fearrington Village, but I imagine there are a lot affluent Raleigh neighborhoods, too.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-11-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-11-2014, 10:43 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's a pretty weird ranking. Saying "Fearrington Village" is the most educated place is like saying "McGregor Downs" is or "Meadowmont" or "Southern Village" or "Brier Creek". "Fearrington Village" is a neighborhood, not a town or a village. Farrington, NC is a spot on the map/green sign on the road on Farrington Rd near Jordan Lake and I'd be surprised if there were a high percentage of advanced degree holders there.

I'm not surprised that there are a lot of degree holders in Fearrington Village, but I imagine there are a lot affluent Raleigh neighborhoods, too.
It does seem kind of bizarre as I think of Fearrington Village as a neighborhood, like Southern Village or Meadowmont. But apparently, Fearrington Village is actually a Census-Designated Place (CDP) in North Carolina; the others mentioned are not.

Category:Census-designated places in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I imagine Town of Chapel Hill would be the most educated place in North Carolina (or to be more correct, the town with the most educated people) if you were to go by "real" places (towns, cities, etc.). According to City-Data, 73.5% of residents of CH have a bachelor's degree or higher.

//www.city-data.com/city/Chapel...-Carolina.html

Old 09-11-2014, 11:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
That's dumb! I don't think Fearrington Village has a post office or even a grocery store. Southern Village has many more amenities (school, grocery store, church, park) than Fearrington Village. But whatever! They didn't ask me!!

I think Carol Woods retirement community would have a lot of advanced degree holders, too. That's apparently the go-to place for old professors. My professor emeritus neighbor retired there.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Quote:
That's dumb! I don't think Fearrington Village has a post office or even a grocery store. Southern Village has many more amenities (school, grocery store, church, park) than Fearrington Village. But whatever! They didn't ask me!!

I think Carol Woods retirement community would have a lot of advanced degree holders, too. That's apparently the go-to place for old professors. My professor emeritus neighbor retired there.
According to the US Census Bureau in 2010 Fearrington Village had a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.0 km[SIZE=2]2), all of it land. Population of 2,339.[/SIZE]

I agree all this ranking is dumb!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Wow....what a surprise. A small sequestered village of upper middle to upper class residents is the most educated in NC? Who knew?

Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:

totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary