Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 07:38 PM

69 posts, read 260,336 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the area just south of Raleigh Country club is a bad area? I'm looking to buy some investment property, and I'm interested in properties for less than $100,000. I'd appreciate if anyone can give me clues as to what are the areas of Raleigh to stay away from crime-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times
Its often mentioned to stay away from the SE area. Not sure how true it holds, however. You can look at reports for Raleigh and Cary here: http://apps.newsobserver.com/know/crime/

Good luck with the search, 100k is agressive for inside the beltline. Are you looking at condos, townhomes, or detached homes?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM

134 posts, read 410,612 times
You are very brave to be investing in real estate in this market.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:42 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChristmas View Post
You are very brave to be investing in real estate in this market.

Isnt the whole purpose of investing to "buy low and sell high". Personally, I think its brave for people to invest in real estate, stocks or anything else when the market is up 20-30% and over inflated. The time to buy is when its a BUYERS market and you have leverage to negotiate as a qualified buyer.

That is part of what people lost sight of in both the internet and real estate booms in the last 10 years.... they buy what is "hot" and not what is a good value. Just make sure you have reasonable reserves and expectations for your investment.

That said, the market in Raleigh is generally stable, varies from area to area so do your research. If you plan to buy and hold and are not expecting to make 20% in a year, there are many opportunities.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:48 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,527 times
I do not think "investment" in real estate is a good idea for most people. One would not only need to know the condition of the market at the time of purchase, but also at the time one hopes/needs/wants to sell. Real estate is not a liquid investment. Maybe for the super wealthy it makes sense, but for most people I think it is better to have balanced investments in mutual funds and bonds. Buying a HOME is a different matter, however. It is a good idea to buy a home if you are buying it to live in -- the uncertainties at the time you sell are the uncertainties of life. Just know you will probably have to live there a while to break even and that you cannot predict the market when you are going to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary