Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 AM

210 posts, read 426,327 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need to take my car to the mechanics for repair in Wake County/North East Raleigh by Durant Park, and I am looking for recommendation on a good one. I can find many through Google Map search; however, I am looking for a place you've had experience with, liked it, and know they are good.

My car started making some noise when you hit the break, and I think it might be that the break pads need to be replaced. The worst case scenario is the rotors are damaged as well. I also might need to get my tires replaced (not due to the noise), but I am not sure.

At any rate, I am looking for an affordable place that is not shabby and crooked.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 AM

304 posts, read 369,871 times
Technically you are not in North East Raleigh unless you are East of Capital (Durant Park is west of Capital).

But if I were you I would go to Tire Rack and find an installer to order the parts and pick out the tires and brake pads and installer that way, then have them resurface the rotors while you're there. Problem is if you go into any mechanics shop and say there's a noise coming from the car and you're not sure if you need tires or not it's sort of like putting a t-shirt on that says "easily taken advantage of". The Tire Rack approach puts you more in control of the process. Then you get things like they try to sell you whatever tire they have a surplus of instead of a great quality tire etc.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Technically you are not in North East Raleigh unless you are East of Capital (Durant Park is west of Capital).

But if I were you I would go to Tire Rack and find an installer to order the parts and pick out the tires and brake pads and installer that way, then have them resurface the rotors while you're there. Problem is if you go into any mechanics shop and say there's a noise coming from the car and you're not sure if you need tires or not it's sort of like putting a t-shirt on that says "easily taken advantage of". The Tire Rack approach puts you more in control of the process. Then you get things like they try to sell you whatever tire they have a surplus of instead of a great quality tire etc.
Thanks for the correction on the NE Raleigh thing. I have always thought I was in NE Raleigh.

That's an interesting advice on the Tire Rack thing. The problem is, I love cars but I have no clue about the mechanics of a car, and I wouldn't know what the best kind of break pads to buy etc... It's definitely something to consider. I need to make a decision in the next two hours.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:09 AM

304 posts, read 369,871 times
The Tire Rack website will show you what's available for your year/make/model. You might opt for something else depending on your situation but at least it gives you a price point of reference. It can also help you find an installer.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
The Tire Rack website will show you what's available for your year/make/model. You might opt for something else depending on your situation but at least it gives you a price point of reference. It can also help you find an installer.
I chatted with an agent, so I get how this works. The only downside to this approach is I have to wait for the items to be shipped. I need to get this done today. I'll keep Tire Rack in mind for future service.

So far, I am considering Firestone and Precision Tune Auto Care.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I chatted with an agent, so I get how this works. The only downside to this approach is I have to wait for the items to be shipped. I need to get this done today. I'll keep Tire Rack in mind for future service.

So far, I am considering Firestone and Precision Tune Auto Care.
It's a Saturday, I wouldn't spend too much time deciding. For future reference (they're not open on Saturdays), if it's a model they work on I highly (super duper highly) recommend Creech Import Repair on St. Albans Drive.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
It's a Saturday, I wouldn't spend too much time deciding. For future reference (they're not open on Saturdays), if it's a model they work on I highly (super duper highly) recommend Creech Import Repair on St. Albans Drive.
Thanks. It doesn't look like they service Saturns/GMs

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM

110 posts, read 204,173 times
TLC Transmission and Auto Repair off of Gresham Lake Rd is good. I have been taking our cars there since we moved to the Durant Rd area last year and most of my coworkers go there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary