Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 PM

58 posts, read 76,783 times

Advertisements

My family is looking into moving to Bedford at falls river. I heard the schools in raleigh are over crowded and students have been repeatedly switched. I will have a high school and 7th grader. Does anyone know how long there bus ride eill be to their schools. Wakefield is High school. I was hearing some kids have an hour bus ride but am hoping thats not the case. Thanks. Also is bedford a good place for older kids. Seems like alot goes on for younger ones.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Nobody can tell how bad the school situation will become as enrollment jumps.

If good schools are vital, avoid the Triangle.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If good schools are vital, avoid the Triangle.
That's ridiculous!

The "Triangle" encompasses Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill and all the suburbs around and in between. Arguably the best schools in the state are the in the Triangle. Maybe the OP would like to avoid NC, since our current tea party republican administration is gutting schools right and left, but if they're going to be anywhere in NC the Triangle is probably the BEST place for schools.

That said there are lots and lots of schools in Wake County. Some score better than others, but really it all depends on the fit for your kid. You can be at a school that looks great on paper, but doesn't work for your kid or vice-versa, a school that looks less than wonderful on paper might turn out to be a wonderful place for your kid.

As far as the bus ride I would be surprised if anyone would be able to tell you that. For my kid in Chapel Hill our stop on the bus route is the last in the morning so the kids in our neighborhood don't have to get to their stop as early as the kids who are waiting at the first stop. But the bus routes can change yearly with school population.

Check out NC Report Card for school scores and other info.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Wakefield is pretty close to Bedford. All depends on the route. If they get picked up first, it takes longer. If last, should be quick. Look up the nearest intersection on WCPSS's transportation site under the bus routes for Wakefield High. That'll give you a better idea of pickup order and route time.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Thanks, I quess I am just use to you live here this is your school and that never changes. My kids even went to my school when we moved back to the same town later in life. I am sure though all these people with kids wouldn't be living there though if schools were honestly that bad. My biggest worry was just transportation issues, especially if going to a further over flow school. But maybe I could just drive them if that was the case. Again thanks.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamoov View Post
Thanks, I quess I am just use to you live here this is your school and that never changes. My kids even went to my school when we moved back to the same town later in life. I am sure though all these people with kids wouldn't be living there though if schools were honestly that bad. My biggest worry was just transportation issues, especially if going to a further over flow school. But maybe I could just drive them if that was the case. Again thanks.
Yes...most people who move here are used to "you live here, this is your school." And if you move to any school district in the Triangle, other than WCPSS, that's pretty much what you'll get. However, WCPSS is a huge school district, with too many students and not enough resources to keep up. So if you move here, and contribute to the overcrowding, there's a chance your kids may not be able to go to the school closest to your house. If your kids are on a bus for more than an hour, odds are it's because you chose to send them to a magnet school. And kids being moved "repeatedly" is the exception, not the norm.

Having said that, the schools here are good when compared to the rest of the state. The state, as a whole, does not prioritize education when it comes to funding, so, as a whole, they're not as good when comparing to the rest of the nation.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:01 AM

When people have containment area for relocated Yankees as location or say it to you about Cary is it a joke or are you mad that people from other places are moving to Raleigh area. I am wondering cause it seems hurtful but I am hoping its not meant that way. If people don't relocate you are going to have a lot of empty houses because the builders are building anyway it seems.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:16 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
We live in Bedford, and our kids have attended Wakefield schools since 2007. The bus ride is about 15 minutes, give or take a few based on where your stop is.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamoov View Post
When people have containment area for relocated Yankees as location or say it to you about Cary is it a joke or are you mad that people from other places are moving to Raleigh area. I am wondering cause it seems hurtful but I am hoping its not meant that way. If people don't relocate you are going to have a lot of empty houses because the builders are building anyway it seems.
I view it as a neutral term - never took it as positive or negative - just a made-up acronym for what it is - a town made up of a lot of northeastern transplants. On the plus side, Cary has some of the best schools in the county and is also a very sought-after town for this area. So I 'd say we northeastern transplants must be welcome here.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Great thanks for info I really appreciate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary