Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 PM

77 posts, read 99,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I'm confused. Your daughter has never taken Social Studies or Science? I'm not sure how that would be treated in any public high school here. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they test kids to see what classes they get into. They go off of their previous school record. So if she's in remedial math and english there, I'm not sure that she wouldn't be here as well.

I don't know, but that is so wrong! She got "trapped" in a system and they won't let her out. Every child should be allowed to take core classes, no matter what. The system is so screwed up. It just blows my mind that they would deprive kids of science and history. It's unfair, and kids need those classes. It's setting them up to fail, so what's the point? Maybe i'll have no choice but to home school her. Which I don't want to do. She just wants to feel normal. People don't seem to understand how badly this kind of stuff can affect a teenager more a teenage girl. This has caused her to become seriously depressed, she's acting out in anger and frustration more, she gets picked on a lot, because she's not in normal classes. It's so wrong!

People love to talk about "abuse". To me this is abuse, treating a kid this way in school to me is abusive. Setting a kid up to fail, to be made fun of, to be bullied and picked on, made to believe that they are not competent and inferior is wrong and abusive.

I don't want that for any child, especially mine.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Your daughter has never taken Social Studies or Science? I'm not sure how that would be treated in any public high school here. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they test kids to see what classes they get into. They go off of their previous school record. So if she's in remedial math and english there, I'm not sure that she wouldn't be here as well.
That's my understanding as well.

I don't know what to advise the OP. Kids here take science and SS classes in middle school.

His daughter will need an IEP and a tutor.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant73 View Post
I don't know, but that is so wrong! She got "trapped" in a system and they won't let her out. Every child should be allowed to take core classes, no matter what. The system is so screwed up. It just blows my mind that they would deprive kids of science and history. It's unfair, and kids need those classes. It's setting them up to fail, so what's the point? Maybe i'll have no choice but to home school her. Which I don't want to do. She just wants to feel normal. People don't seem to understand how badly this kind of stuff can affect a teenager more a teenage girl. This has caused her to become seriously depressed, she's acting out in anger and frustration more, she gets picked on a lot, because she's not in normal classes. It's so wrong!
Obviously, I don't know anything about her situation (other than what you've written here), but I don't see why she wouldn't be in all core classes, even if she's never had social studies or science before. You'll just need to be a vocal advocate for her at whatever school you wind up at. Bring all of her records (especially her IEP if she had one). Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel, but if you can find the right person at the school to squeak to, you can get satisfying results.

You might actually consider holding her back a year, and having her repeat 8th grade here. I would think that having a sister in the same grade might cause unnecessary comparisons (particularly if the other sister does better). It might be tough for her to deal with at first, but I think if you did it, and you explained the advantages, she might wind up feeling positive about it.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Obviously, I don't know anything about her situation (other than what you've written here), but I don't see why she wouldn't be in all core classes, even if she's never had social studies or science before. You'll just need to be a vocal advocate for her at whatever school you wind up at. Bring all of her records (especially her IEP if she had one). Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel, but if you can find the right person at the school to squeak to, you can get satisfying results.

You might actually consider holding her back a year, and having her repeat 8th grade here. I would think that having a sister in the same grade might cause unnecessary comparisons (particularly if the other sister does better). It might be tough for her to deal with at first, but I think if you did it, and you explained the advantages, she might wind up feeling positive about it.

Oh, my wife and I are quite vocal when it comes to our kids education especially now that they're older. We just aren't being heard up here. They have their "agenda" it seems.

We can't hold her back for a few reasons. First, she's the older one. There is no way that will fly. She should have been a year ahead, but because her birthday was Sept. 24th and the cut off was Sept. 20th she had to wait a whole year. So, technically that will put her 2 years behind. Can't do that. She'll be 19 as a senior.

And she shouldn't be "disciplined" because of the school. She is smart, she does well when she does it. She's just not motivated anymore because she's been bullied into thinking she's inferior by her teachers and principle.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
OP, I think you'll want to make an appointment with a guidance counselor as soon as you get here to pick appropriate courses. They'll be able to work with your daughter and get her caught up. I'm sure being out of that school and into a new environment will be a fresh start and that in itself will probably a great relief. All of the Cary High schools are good, so your daughter will be in good hands no matter which one she goes to.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
OP, I think you'll want to make an appointment with a guidance counselor as soon as you get here to pick appropriate courses. They'll be able to work with your daughter and get her caught up. I'm sure being out of that school and into a new environment will be a fresh start and that in itself will probably a great relief. All of the Cary High schools are good, so your daughter will be in good hands no matter which one she goes to.

Thank you for that. That was needed. Sometime I get to where I feel like I should just throw my hands up in the air too. Losing an unwinnable battle here can cause that feeling. But sometimes someone says the thing that you just really need to hear and it gives one hope. Thanks again.

That's what I'm thinking, maybe if she's around kids who work hard and want to do well, will inspire her. I was sort of the same way, I was lazy for awhile in school and my grades were not good. But then I went to a new high school became best friends with the "smartest" kid in school, he was by far the nerdiest kid I ever knew (don't get offended, nerds are cool, and he's now known as uncle Rog to my kids)..But all of a sudden my grades just magically started going up and next thing I knew I was on the honor roll. Just being around the right people sometimes can make a world of difference, and it helps when those "right" people believe in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary